Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cold weaather clothing

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 693 Total Views

Hello ladies. We are going to be moving to Alaska in November and I have been trying to find cold weather clothing for the family. (1 & 3yr olds) I have asked mothers in other groups and have been told some have purchased snowsuits from JCP, hats and gloves from Wally World, now my question is if it does not state a temp rating then it would not be suitable for Alaska right? I may be making more out of this than there is but from my research on Ak it states -65 temp rating clothing is a must!! So am I panicking for nothing? Where do you ladies get your clothing if you order it online? Thanks for your help..

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lightoftheworld
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM

oh now, I wouldnt worry about it that much!! I have never seen a temperature rating on a snowsuit.  Just make sure they have the classic winter gear and they will be fine.

Even at its coldest, it only gets to like -10 during the winter, and at that point, you wouldnt be taking them outside for long anyway.

uniquelynoone
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM

No I would not take them out but I was told that they have to go outside at school in negative degree weather so that is why I am inquiring about the temp rated clothing..

Quoting lightoftheworld:

oh now, I wouldnt worry about it that much!! I have never seen a temperature rating on a snowsuit.  Just make sure they have the classic winter gear and they will be fine.

Even at its coldest, it only gets to like -10 during the winter, and at that point, you wouldnt be taking them outside for long anyway.

Rik-E
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I live about 40 miles north of Anchorage. The coldest it's been here in the last few years is about -30. If it's more than like -5, -10 the kids don't go out to play at recess. At least when I was in public school. My kids are homeschooled so i decide if they can go out. LOL

Just basic snowpants, coats, hat, gloves, and decent boots. We get most of ours from       Wal-mart or hand me downs from friends. The only thing I make sure to get a good quality on is the boots & gloves. Otherwise they just wear an extra layer underneath if it's super cold.

lightoftheworld
by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 4:05 PM

yep, the schools dont let them go outside for recess if it is less than -10

mudgirl
by New Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 4:01 AM

-65 is like record cold temp.for fairbanks.  anchorage doesnt get that cold. ive heard than minnisota winters are much colder than anchorage. you can get everything u need at walmart or fred meyer but if you want som super fancy heavy duty stuff try R.E.I. but its expensive.

truealaskanmom
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 6:05 AM

the school district makes them go out if it is 16 below or warmer.  I would get down snowsuits, glove liners and mittens, and trapper style hats.  Boots are where you need to be careful they need air space and they need to have goo insulation and waterproffing.  If you can get bunny boots do it nothing is better here.  You will want 3/4 coats with hoods for when it gets windy.  Just remember the more skin covered and covered well the better and make sure the clothing is loose not tight or they will get cold without the dead air space. Thermal underwear are also a must when out for a long time.  Layers and cover your skin is my suggestion.  I say prepare for fairbanks because you never know when you might end up there and if it is 60 below and windy hide.  LOL it is pretty easy as long as you don't try to get all trendy with labels, go for warmth insulation and yes there are temp ratings on really expensive stuff but that isnt ususally needed.  

Roadfamily6now
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I agree with TrueAlaskanMom. Having lived in the Interior, cold weather is nothing to mess around with. the kids in Fairbanks go outside for recess until it is colder then -20F. And it can go -55F or more for days on end. Personally I have seen -73F in Delta Junction in 1996. Our first winter here! How lucky we were! LOL

I would recommend boots from Lands End. I personally recommend this kind HERE

We have used those for the past 3 years in both Anchorage and Fairbanks.

We do buy our clothes here from local stores. My favorite brand for good winter coats and snowpants is Active8. Here is a link to a great store in Fairbanks (they have a sister store in Anchorage that sells the same stuff but on a smaller scale - Army Navy Store)

The brands I recommend (again, it depends on the ages of your children) are Carhart, Columbia, and Helly Hason.  If you do land in Fairbanks, you will definitley need a better quality of winter gear. Frost bite is real and kids are suseptible when not propery outfitted.

However, here in Anchorage is does not get that cold so you can probaby get away with Wal-Mart type stuff. Personally, I dont. You dont need to spend a fortune either. We have tons of thrift and second hand stores that sell great winter gear for a decent price. And if you buy a little at a time, it does not hurt the pocketbook so badly.

Oh I see your kiddos are just young and so, they probably wont be playing much outside. At least not for long periods of time.  In that case, a decent snowsuit should be fine along with a couple of pairs of gloves/mittens. face warmer, scarf, hats that tie on (trooper style) and layers under the snowsuit.  What you are going to be mostly concerned about is getting to and from the car with an occasional sledding day

unless you love the outdoors and plan on doing some cross country skiing, skijoring, sled dog riding, hiking.....etc, then again I urge you to wait until you get here to buy the appropriate gear. Ask around and see what other moms are using.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

the school district makes them go out if it is 16 below or warmer.  I would get down snowsuits, glove liners and mittens, and trapper style hats.  Boots are where you need to be careful they need air space and they need to have goo insulation and waterproffing.  If you can get bunny boots do it nothing is better here.  You will want 3/4 coats with hoods for when it gets windy.  Just remember the more skin covered and covered well the better and make sure the clothing is loose not tight or they will get cold without the dead air space. Thermal underwear are also a must when out for a long time.  Layers and cover your skin is my suggestion.  I say prepare for fairbanks because you never know when you might end up there and if it is 60 below and windy hide.  LOL it is pretty easy as long as you don't try to get all trendy with labels, go for warmth insulation and yes there are temp ratings on really expensive stuff but that isnt ususally needed.  

Tammy

"A successful VBAC occurs about 73% of the time. If a hospital bans VBAC, they’re basically telling 73% of women that they have to undergo a surgical procedure that carries more morbidity than if they had a vaginal birth. That’s outrageous to me."    Dr. Stuart Fischbein

uniquelynoone
by on Sep. 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM

thank you all for the advice ladies..i am not a lable hog but if i have to pay more for clothing that i know will keep my kids warm then i will..i would love to be able to find the stuff at thrift stores but as we will be landing in winter i can not wait..next year i will DEFINATELY hit them up for my kids clothing as well as myself as i am pregnant and will need my normal size..when does winter start and end in alaska?again thanks so much!!

Roadfamily6now
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 12:27 AM

There is snow in Fairbanks and here in Anchorage the snow is in the hills and it was 25 last night.

One year at halloween it was -30F

I say Winter starts first week of October (give or take)

Tammy

5 VBACs and counting!
Certified Doula

"Birth is not an Emergency, it is simply an Emergence"
Jeannine Pavarti Baker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)