Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP ME ASAP!!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 495 Total Views

I am making DD's birthday cake right now and I made a yellow cake with wilton's buttercream recipe in the middle, I crushed oreo's in the middle also. I wanted to make a ganache to pour on top of the cakes but my question is do I dirty ice the cake before hand with buttercream or not? because the layers where the filling in is a little uneven. My mother thinks I should dirty ice it but wont the ganache melt the icing? Help Help Help! lol thanks. Where is Tatmom? she always knows everything lol

by on Jan. 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tat2mom
by Member on Jan. 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM

If you want a nice smooth finish you do deen to crumb coat the cake first, but you dont have to.  The ganache wont melt the icing because it shouldn't be hot when you pour it.  Plus if you let your cake chill for about 30min in the fridge after crumb coating it will help keep the frosting from smudging and it will help set the ganache.  You want to wait till the ganache is about room temp (or a hair warmer).  If its too warm it wont coat very well.  It will make a thin layer and run everywhere.  Good Luck!!

the b fam

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)