Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you consider yourself a feminist?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 6:07 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 298 Total Views

.....and if not, why?
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlizgar
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 6:47 PM
Well I guess to a certain degree I do. I believe that women can do the same things as men and should have the same opprotunities as men. I am all for "girl power"! BUT you wont find me in the streets burning bras or anything!

Liz :)
Kittyblanton
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 7:27 PM

I believe I am . I am not sure exactly how extreme you mean. I mean I shave under my arms and I wear a bra and I still like for someone else to change tires and oil for me. But I believe that a woman can do anything a man can do if she wants to. I also think that women should get the same pay for the same job. But I don't think we are there yet. I think that sexism is rampant in the US. The Imus thing to me was just as much about sexism as it was about racism. Seriously I like to have a man open doors for me and pay for dinner but I know I can pay for dinner myself and I can definitely open my own doors. I believe that women can take care of themselves and be strong. And I don't think that is anything new! But I think that women have been left by themselves  to fend for themselves for a long time and they surely don't get much help from the government. This is a good topic . I would really like to hear what you have in mind because I don't know if I am going where you want to go.

PaxMommy
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:32 PM

I also consider myself a feminist. I asked the question because I  keep hearing comments and reading editorials etc. that have been so denigrating towards feminists.  For instance, I've been asked "What has feminism ever done for us?"  Which seems like an innocent question but was asked by someone who really believes that feminism has done nothing but hurt women. If people simply read about the history of women's rights, they would know that a woman was once considered property of her father and then, when married, property of her husband. Women were permitted to be beaten, could be legally raped by their husbands, and were not the legal "owners" of their own children. Women were not permitted to vote, attend college, or to purchase birth control(without a note from her husband). A  Woman legally had to live in the place of her husband's choosing. She was not permitted to seek divorce. She could be admitted to a mental asylum for any reason by her husband. -- I could go on and on!

I keep reading editorals in the newspaper claiming that feminists hate men, want to break-up families and kill babies. This is simply untrue!

Feminists are people who believe that men and women are of equal value. They believe that women should be just as free as men are. Sure, women and men are different... but that doesn't mean that one gender is worth less than the other.

So many women seem to shy away from calling themselves a feminist despite the fact that they believe in the legal equality of women and men.

I wonder why the stereotypical image of a feminist is a woman who doesn't shave (men shave!) , wear a bra, or act "feminine".

I think we need to embrace "feminism" again and show people that the old stereotype is just that - OLD.

....hope that clarifies from what perspective I'm coming from...

I'd love to have more of a discussion!

P.S. Bra-burning is a myth...it never happened...the women in Atlantic City really just threw their bras in the trash :-)

-PaxMommy  

marilee
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 4:55 PM
 I guess I consider myself a feminist. I don't know. I am a southerner...and down here we stillexpect men to open doors for us,carry our stuff..Yes ma'm and Yes sir are big important responses that we still etach our children. Men are still expected to do the "hard stuff". However....I do believe that a woman can do anything that a man can do! Which is why we are sometimes called a Steel Magnolia.....I think there should be equal pay and such. I think if a woman wants tio be a fire fighter,soldier..whatever...then she should be!  But I wonder sometimes if the pendelum has swung too far. I know mothers who refuse to dress there girls in pink...etc. I think it is imporatnt to still teach our girls that it is ok to be a girl. It is wonderful to be a girl!
conniecabe
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 11:28 PM
I know what you're saying.  It seems that the right has demonized the word "feminist".  But without "nazi feminists" where would women be today?  There's still work to do.  I know I am the underpaid woman in my job.  My coworkers, who are men, both make more money per hour than I do.  Unfortunately,  that's still commonplace in America.  I agree with Kitty, I'm a feminist...I may not be burning my bra or growing out all my body hair...but I know that when I am ready to return to the career field...I will be able to compete with the boys.  Right now, I choose ( not being forced), choose to stay home and work a crappy part-time job.  I also choose to raise my son to respect women and treat them as equals yet say things like, "Ladies first".  I am also choosing to tell my daughter she can be anything she wants to be when she grows up...her career choice is not limted to traditional female roles. But if she chooses a traditional job/role there is nothing wrong with that either.  The point is...it's all about choice...and for that I am thankful!

Connie
Kittyblanton
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 7:44 AM
Connie touched on something that i wanted to say too! I have raised my daughters to believe they can do anything they want to. I grew up with three brothers and my parents. My father is the old fashoined "gentleman". Girls don't do this and girls don't do that. My brothers were having a blast and I could not do the things they did because I was a girl. I remember being mad about that all of my life and I was always asking why. So I think that is where my feminism started.I'm not saying that my father was bad that was the way he was raised and to tell you the truth, I enjoy some of that attitude now.lol But both of my daughters are strong,intelligent women who can take care of themselvesThey are very motivated and I believe they can take care of themselves!I have to say my son is to but that is not what we are talking about. So I agree withConnie it is all a choice. I think it is our job to prepare our children to be self-sufficient especially our daughters. I was petted and pampered all of my life and then I ended up alone at 32 with no man to take care of me and it was rough believe me. So I think this is a good discussion especially for those of us who have daughters.
2thecross
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 4:24 PM
I don't consider myself a feminist. When it comes to the workplace a woman should make the same as a man for any job they do equally, but that goes for anyone not dependant on sex or race or anything else. I like for a man to be chivalrous. I do not want men to expect the same from me so I don't think that we should be equal there. I expect my husband to take the trash out, do the car maintenance and pump the gas. He expects me to take care of our kids, clean the house, and prepare the meals. I don't want to go work in an office somewhere. I like my place. It's comfortable to me, works for our family, and doesn't make me feel oppressed in any way. So in our life, we are not equal. I like being taken care of and he likes taking care of me. It's balanced but not equal.
sweetmelissa
by on Apr. 25, 2007 at 8:50 PM
If by feminist you mean Id pop anyone in the mouth that said a woman didnt have the same rights as a man or the competency of a man...I most certainly am.  But rights arent obligations and I can choose to be a SAHM or choose to date men who will still open my door for me.  As a feminist I most celebrate my power of choice.  demonizing feminists isnt a new trick by any means, even as a little girl i was taught to believe that feminists were militant and wanted to take over the world and put men in the passenger seat as punishment for holding women down.  As much as this isn't true of most feminists, i have to be honest, it sounded alright to me when I was little lol, but its obviously a damaging view the right is trying to spread.
PaxMommy
by on Sep. 26, 2007 at 1:19 PM
BUMP!!

Hey all...check out the "FEMINIST" group ...even if you just want to lurk!

:)
missmissa
by Group Owner on Sep. 27, 2007 at 9:59 PM

Darn tootin' I'm a feminist! Except, it really is the man's job to squish the spiders...

My inlaws (all of them  bit strange, but we get along) fully susbscribe to all the evil rumors about what feminists are (eating babies and all), despite the fact that I promote and obviously support equality in society for women in all aspects. It's not that they're backwards so much as bible thumpers in the bible belt, and all takin that woman being submissive to the man universally.

I think they find me amusing, and naive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)