Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son with epilepsy

Posted by on May. 26, 2007 at 11:24 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 144 Total Views
Hi, I have a four year old with epilepsy.  It was so scary at first and life still seems a bit uncertain at times ("is he about to have one?").  He has had multiple health issues and everytime we think we are nearing the end, something ugly rears its head.  What advice do you have?  I have been told he shouldn't be climbing or even riding a bike for the next couple of years. He hasn't had a seizure since the end of March (knock on wood).  He seems to know they are coming on, as he will usually try and distance himself from us before they occur.  He is still pretty much preverbal.  He is about 14 months behind developmentally due to hearing and vision issues, but IS progressing.  Any advice for a mommy?  Thanks, Jill
by on May. 26, 2007 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lostmoma
by on May. 26, 2007 at 1:23 PM
 i am sorry i really wish i could help you with advice about your son with Epilepsy, but i dont know anything bout children with it... but there is a group for moms of children suffering with Epilepsy here in cafe moms. i can give you the link if you dont already belong to that group?... let me know...

i pray for you and your son...huggingtammy........ almost 4 months seizure free.....
kymbernv
by on May. 27, 2007 at 1:57 PM
Hi there!
I don't have a child with epilepsy, I have epilepsy though. And my daughter has had a couple of seizures but I am not an expert on this .
I do know that children with epilepsy usually wear helmets when participating in outdoor activities. Not just the helmets for riding bikes, but they have full helmets for kids to wear.
I wasn't allowed in p.e. when I was in high school for fear that I would have a grand mal, this isn't commonly believed today.
I definately would talk to your neurologist though for ideas.
And I wish you and your family all the best. My prayers are with you.
Kymber

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)