Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epilepsy and Celiac disease

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 102 Total Views
Hi all, I dont think I have shared this yet, so here goes. I am seeing a new Neurologist and he did a battery of blood and DNA tests on me. He told me last visit I have Celiac Disease. One of the symptoms of Celiac can be seizures. Not all Epileptics are Celiac patients so dont freak out. But..... look it up, read the web pages and see if you have any of the symptoms, or if ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY has the symptoms, one will do. I have several that no one else put together till this guy. Mine are, irregular heart beats, seizures, depression ( long standing since childhood). Chronic pain, arthritis. No abd symptoms other than constipation that I put to my medications for B/P.   So....... check it out and if in doubt ask for a blood test. If you are one of the lucky ones like me you get to go on a gluten free diet. Not bad, the only thing I will miss is pasta and pizza. There are substitutes I can buy ( as with everything) but we all know it will taste like ka - ka.

Any one else with Celiac??
by on Jun. 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Britton213
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2008 at 10:05 AM
hi all, I sure do hope people are reading this important info on Celiac and its association with seizures.. One Epi I know went on the gluten free diet and after a while he was off his meds!!  Other Epi mothers noticed thier children start to thrive after being sickly or have asthma or ecema. PLEASE GIVE THIS DISEASE A LOOK. Read up on it. My only symptoms were seizures, irrg heart beats( that I was told was not unusual and not to worry about), and arthritis. ALL OF THESE ARE SIGNS OF CELIAC.  If you have seizures you should be tested for Celiac in my opinion.

Here's hoping one person will be effected by this entry enough to find out they are gluten intolerant save themselves a lot of trouble.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)