Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Accepting Seizures

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 319 Total Views

Last night I had a seizure.  Luckily I have them at night and my husband takes care of me when it happens.  I only get a seizure about every month or two.  The thing is I asked my neurologist if there was anything else I could do besides eating right, not drinking alcohol, reducing stress yadda yadda.  I asked maybe combining my medication Keppra with another medication or something.  He said the only way to make me seizure free would make me so out of it I wouldn't be able to really do anything.  Which is not going to happen because I want to spend time with my family and I don't want to be all groggy.  Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestiongs?  Should I just accept the fact I am going to have seizures?  Thanks for any comments!

by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
krbarrett
by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 10:07 AM

To be honest, I don't think it went so well, just in my opinion.  I asked him about maybe getting put on a second medication along with Keppra and to sum it up he said if I wanted to we could try another but he doesn't suggest it.  Along with more meds comes more side effects (by the way I am sure a lot of you are the same but my memory sucks! lol) which I knew.  I flat out asked is there anything I can do I mean I eat right, exercise regularly (maybe not everyday but about 4 times a week which I don't think is bad), I eat ok, I rarely drink and he said exercise and diet really wont effect seizures accept access alcohol and that I am really considered under control with my seizures.  This really wasn't what I wanted to hear and I know I sound like a brat but I don't think I should just accept having a seizure a month it just doesn't seem fair.  Ok rant done, sorry but this is the only place I can vent about this!  Does this seem bratty and unrealistic?

Cher53
by Group Owner on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

No way in hell! your Neurologist is wrong and I am the proof, it has been over 22 years since I had a seizure of any kind. I was diag @ the age of 13 and it took years to get me under control. I was on Dilantin 100mgs 3xday and mysoline 250mgs 3xday for many years. Now I am on generic phenytoin 100mgs2xday and primidone2xday. So what does your neuro have you on? We don't except the fact we have seizures we just learn to live with them. Keep in mind my meds are not even really used anymore, they put keppra in it's place I refused the med and neurology kept me on my meds. Feb 20, 2013 I am supposed to come off phenytoin completely, so don't let them tell you there is nothing else there is and they know it. Keep me posted I really want to help if I can..Cher

02nana07
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Taking the meds at the exact same time every day makes a difference plus KeppraXR works because you only take it once a day and it stays in your system better.

Cher53
by Group Owner on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 02nana07:

Taking the meds at the exact same time every day makes a difference plus KeppraXR works because you only take it once a day and it stays in your system better.

Your absolutely right? This med is made to be long lasting, for myself I refused it and so I have been kept on dilantin 100mgs3xday and mysoline2502xday, Now I am on generics and as of Jan go off the dilantin completely. Keep in mind it took them years to get me under control butt I am now 22 years seizure free.

02nana07
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM

It will be 5 years for my son on Christmas day so we have alot to celebrate on  Christmas

Quoting Cher53:

Quoting 02nana07:

Your absolutely right? This med is made to be long lasting, for myself I refused it ans so I have been kept on dilantin 100mgs3xday and mysoline2502xday, Now I am on generics and as of Jan go off the dilantin completely. Keep in mind it took them years to get me under control butt I am now 22 years seizure free.

Cher53
by Group Owner on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 02nana07:

It will be 5 years for my son on Christmas day so we have alot to celebrate on  Christmas

Quoting Cher53:

Quoting 02nana07:

Your absolutely right? This med is made to be long lasting, for myself I refused it ans so I have been kept on dilantin 100mgs3xday and mysoline2502xday, Now I am on generics and as of Jan go off the dilantin completely. Keep in mind it took them years to get me under control butt I am now 22 years seizure free.

That is awesome I am so happy to here that Yay!you rock

Cher53
by Group Owner on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Quoting Cher53:

Quoting 02nana07:

Your absolutely right? This med is made to be long lasting, for myself I refused it and so I have been kept on dilantin 100mgs3xday and mysoline2502xday, Now I am on generics and as of Jan go off the dilantin completely. Keep in mind it took them years to get me under control butt I am now 22 years seizure free.

Thank you for telling me about this medication, I have only been on dilantin & mysoline which has worked very well for me. But I can still remember the days I had like 4 to 5 seizures a day and now I have been seizure free Thank God!  for 22 years....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)