Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VENTING! any help or advice would be great!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 266 Total Views

My hubby has been having symptoms of seizures for 4 years now. In May he all of a sudden couldn't walk, talk, drive or anything. After rushing him to the hospital they came to that conclusion. They started him on Dilatin  and he takes 300 milgrams a day. Well last Saturday he had a seizure and this time I noticed that his eyes were twitching back and forth, his mouth twitched and so did his toes. Afterwards he blacked out for 45 minutes. At the ER they said that normal someone on that comes in to the hospital at a level of 10-20. He was at 2! It was the scarest ones I've ever seen. I didn't even know what to do. One second we are having an argument then he's on the floor.

He has "silent" seizures? They didn't even really explain what that means except we won't seem him having one all the time. And every time after he can't talk or walk and things like that. This last time he remember laying down then came to in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. He even bruised my hand because he started freaking out when he found out he was going to the hospital.

I don't know what to do. I don't know what causes them or what to look for, anything? I'm scared cause he was a stay at home dad because of his out disabilities now I have someone with the 3 of them and she's young. What if he has one while I'm at work? Will she know what to do? Will she know what to do for the kids? I'm so scared for him.

Then there's the fact that he had this while we were fighting....so what now I can't be mad at him? I'm breaking down even as I write this. I work all day and try not to worry but this was 3 in a month because he had a "trimmer" the Saturday before last.

Please help me! I'm on a ledge and can't figure out anything. At the ER they kept saying "talk to the nuraligist" but we never saw her. Its a VA hospital so sure that has something to do with it.

twilight.gif twilight picture by kaiamanda

by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
uffdamaida09
by New Member on Jun. 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I wish I could help u. I do have epilepsy and was diagnosed w/ petit mal/absent seizures. Most ppl do not know when I have them. Men in general can be VERY stubborn and don't want to admit to things they cannot control.  Is he close to anyone in his family or friends? Might be ur best bet. If ur a praying person the Serenity Prayer is good. Uffdamaida

krbarrett
by on Jun. 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Definitely go with him and see a neurologist.  If you can bring the young lady watching them so both you and her can be trained on what to do when a seizure occurs.  Unfortunately, I think most seizures you cannot see coming till they have already started.  My husband cannot tell I am going to have one till it has started but you should keep him on his side in case of vomit so he won't swallow it and never stick anything in his mouth.  Stay calm till it passes and I believe in most grand mal seizures it is normal for someone to become unconscious.  I become unconscious.  If he seizures for more than 5 minutes or so (meaning the twitching, shaking) call the ambulance.  But the neurologist will be able to tell you exacts on what to do and what NOT to do.  Make sure you go the more information you know the more in control you are.  Also the neuro may make suggestions on meds and if he needs a different one or maybe add one etc.  Bottom line GO to the neurologist!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)