Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about impatiens

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 369 Total Views

I want to put alot of these in my back yard, should I use the seeds or buy them and plant them myself? I think seeds would be so much cheaper, but not sure if there would be a difference. Wheres a good place to buy them? Thanks so much for any help!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
millinco
by New Member on May. 27, 2010 at 5:36 AM

From my experience, this late in the season you would probably do better buying the plants since they take forever to grow.  I'm no expert, but I've got a few things I started as seedlings forever ago that are still not ready to go outside lol.  Good luck with your impatiens! 

CafeMom Tickers
flutterbies
by Group Admin on May. 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I tried growing impatiants from seed and didn't have much luck... My first mistake was to put them in a full sun location, They are a shade plant!  My second was to fall for the "big box of impatiants" thing!  It was a box about the size of a cereal box and it was suppose to have 1500 seeds in it of mixed colors.  The seeds were mixed with sand and other fillers..."to help the spreading be even..." either way by the time I saw any flowers it was like July or August.

Granted I put them in a bad place.  I think some of them got washed away by rain and I may have pulled some out thinking they were weeds because I thought they would have come up already...lol.

I think it depends on how you are planting them. Are you going to try to naturalize them in an area or will they be placed in a certain patter?  They are an annual though so I think you might get the most out of started plants.

I usually buy annuals from wal-mart or home depot when it's late in the season because sometimes they are discounted!  If you go to a garden center you have the peace of mind that the plants have been well cared for and won't be diseased!

There is a member of the group who is raising fourth generation impatiants this year though so I', sure she can halp without a doubt!

Good luck and happy growing!

bsflower13
by Member on May. 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Quoting kayliesmommy:

I want to put alot of these in my back yard, should I use the seeds or buy them and plant them myself? I think seeds would be so much cheaper, but not sure if there would be a difference. Wheres a good place to buy them? Thanks so much for any help!

Impatient grow good from seed,check out my website,grow it save it use it below and click on seeds. That page gives you a good amount of information about GMO seeds and hybrids. This is not a very big issue for flowers but it is good to know for the future of gardening.

Were do you live? Climate is also very important to seeds/plants.

http://www.growitsaveituseit.com/

Brenda Snyder

ladybugLive,laugh,love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)