• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Can Answer A lot of Gardening Questions

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:37 AM
  • 38 Replies
  • 1108 Total Views

Hi Ladies,

I just joined this group and can see that a lot of people on here want answers but no one has any. Well I will do the best I can, if you want to fire questions at me I will do my best to answer them.

Brenda Snyder

http://www.growitsaveituseit.com/

Brenda Snyder

ladybugLive,laugh,love

by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flutterbies
by Group Admin on May. 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I love foxglove and paper-white narcissus.  I have read that they are poisonous though so I won't grow them in my garden but I really want to!  I was wondering if you know which part is poisonous or how poisonous they are.  I've looked but I can't seem to find anything about this!  I know that with lots of plants that are poisonous you would have to purposely eat LOTS of the plant to get sick or die.  I have three kids and there is a kid next door.

Tjanks for any info you can give!

~Sarah~
Jenny4644
by on May. 30, 2009 at 1:15 AM

HERE'S SOME INFO FOR YOU ON IT FOR YOU!!

FOX GLOVE -- Depending on the species, the digitalis plant may contain several deadly physiological and chemically related cardiac and steroidal glycosides.  The entire plant is toxic (including the roots and seeds), although the leaves of the upper stem are particularly potent, with just a nibble being enough to potentially cause death. Early symptoms of ingestion include nausea, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, abdominal pain, wild hallucinations, delirium, and severe headache. Depending on the severity of the toxicosis the victim may later suffer irregular and slow pulse, tremors, various cerebral disturbances, especially of a visual nature (unusual colour visions with objects appearing yellowish to green, and blue halos around lights), convulsions, and deadly disturbances of the heart. (FOUND THIS ON WIKIPEDIA)

PAPER WHITE NARCISSUS - All Narcissus varieties contain the alkaloid poison lycorine, mostly in the bulb but also in the leaves

bsflower13
by Member on May. 31, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Quoting Jenny4644:

HERE'S SOME INFO FOR YOU ON IT FOR YOU!!

FOX GLOVE -- Depending on the species, the digitalis plant may contain several deadly physiological and chemically related cardiac and steroidal glycosides.  The entire plant is toxic (including the roots and seeds), although the leaves of the upper stem are particularly potent, with just a nibble being enough to potentially cause death. Early symptoms of ingestion include nausea, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, abdominal pain, wild hallucinations, delirium, and severe headache. Depending on the severity of the toxicosis the victim may later suffer irregular and slow pulse, tremors, various cerebral disturbances, especially of a visual nature (unusual colour visions with objects appearing yellowish to green, and blue halos around lights), convulsions, and deadly disturbances of the heart. (FOUND THIS ON WIKIPEDIA)

PAPER WHITE NARCISSUS - All Narcissus varieties contain the alkaloid poison lycorine, mostly in the bulb but also in the leaves

I agree totally with this information in fact when most people with heart problems take medicine(digitalis) is the drug of choice. I have it growing in my garden but only at the very back were no direct contact is made. Animals are at the highest risk if they tend to eat plants.

www.GrowitSaveitUseit.com

Helping mom's get by with le$$ and give their families more

Brenda Snyder

Live,laugh,love

flutterbies
by Group Admin on May. 31, 2009 at 5:49 PM

HOLY CRAP!!! 

Thanks ladies!

I was hopeing they might be like a pointsettia where you would have to eat like the whole plant and then you gat like a stomach flu...BUT NO this sounds like O.D. ing on some serious street drugs!  Bummer!  I would grow them in the back If I had the room to make my gardens that big...I'll have to keep that in mind for when(if ever) we get a house!

...and yeah I always forget about wikepedia!

Thanks again!

~Sarah~
native_mommy04
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Hi!

I live in Northen Mn (Red Lake) and NEVER had a garden of any sort..and would like to start a memorial garden and a vegtable garden but not sure if to late to do this. I would like to grow tomatoes,jalapeno peppers,bell peppers,onions,lettuce,carrots,cucumbers,zuccini and sqaush and maybe even some corn. My daughter loves strawberries and I also thought about that too. I just don't know how and when to do this, DH said pick out a spot but I dont know how big of space I would need and what type of area, like the sun etc.etc so if u can please help thanks!

bsflower13
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Quoting native_mommy04:

Hi!

I live in Northen Mn (Red Lake) and NEVER had a garden of any sort..and would like to start a memorial garden and a vegtable garden but not sure if to late to do this. I would like to grow tomatoes,jalapeno peppers,bell peppers,onions,lettuce,carrots,cucumbers,zuccini and sqaush and maybe even some corn. My daughter loves strawberries and I also thought about that too. I just don't know how and when to do this, DH said pick out a spot but I dont know how big of space I would need and what type of area, like the sun etc.etc so if u can please help thanks!

Well its not to late to start a garden but make sure that it recieves full sun all day and you can easily water it if neccesary. Also you might want to go to the library and get a gardening book. Oh yeah  it might be a bit late to start tomatoes and peppers from seed but plants should be just fine. Strawberries grow great in containers and can be brought in over the winter!

www.GrowitSaveitUseit.com

Helping mom's get by with le$$ and give their families more

Brenda Snyder

Live,laugh,love

Jenny4644
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM

HI! Welcome!! My advice would be to start small for this yr on your garden that way you will know how much to plant next yr. Because I planted too much on my first veggie garden and ended up throwing a lot away and it sucks!  As for space, on the back of the plants it usually tells u how far to plant apart and that should give u a good idea for the size and it will tell you how wide and tall each plant gets. Plant in rows so its easy to weed and water. And i would say your fine to plant some seeds now like corn and lettuce, the peppers and tomatoes like she said buy plants because its to late for them to produce fruit from seeds. If you have any specific questions just ask away!!!

native_mommy04
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM

THANKS LADIES! I'm going to start this week! thanks again.

calebsangel
by Group Owner on Jun. 15, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Good luck! I live in Oregon, so it still has been chilly, luckily above freezing. I just bought some plants to pot for veggies this year, since we are going to be moving. So I understand. But I think it'll work out good :)

Ask me about being pampered with Mary Kay! www.marykay.com/melodeecluster

jenniffrm
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Okay I have planted cilantro and when I first planted them it grew alot and lately not much has grown. Why is that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)