Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicken Soup Diet

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 7:22 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 1909 Total Views

With many traditions and beliefs in our Hmong culture, I would have to say the chicken soup diet is the one that stuck to me.  As I'd mentioned in the other post.  With my first child I obediently have my three meal of chicken soup  with steam rice daily, up till the day before my last.  For some unknown reason I was just craving for pizza when it's not even a favorite food of mine.  Than again for my second child I'd all means and prepared to do the same, but failed.  I was a whole week short.  Can't quite remember what I'd right off the back, but almost sure it was spaghetti.

I was just curios if you made an attempt with the chicken soup diet after having your babies and if you did, how successful were you?

by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
s_myl_e
by Member on Apr. 3, 2008 at 11:05 AM
My in laws are really strict about the diet. I did it, but with some cheating. I ate my chicken, but I also ate other things along with it. I don't think I would ever tell them that I wasn't only on chicken and rice. I had to sneak things when we were still living with them, but now we're not living with them anymore so I didn't have to worry with my second.
I don't believe you should only eat chicken and rice. You still need other nutrients that are not in the chicken and rice.
With my first daughter, the first thing I ate was a sub. With my second daughter, I ate the hosipital food since we didn't want anyone come to visit us, no one knows.
I still just tell everyone that I ate the chicken and rice only. There are too many people who gossip and will tell the whole world what I did wrong. Well, at least it was wrong in their eyes.
Forgot to mention, the second time around, I thought I was only going to eat chicken so at 7 months pregnant we went to kill chickens. My sister in law was pregnant to so we killed some for her too. We ended up killing way too many, 60 to be exact.

kara2jz
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2008 at 11:53 AM
When i was pregnant with my first girl i didn't cheat at all...went the whole month eating chicken and rice....and with my secind child i ate the chicken with rice but i also cheated...ate a couple of things...i think like fruits i believe....and then with my 3rd....i ate it for like 2 weeks and then i ate other stuff.....i watched what iw as eating and made sure it wasnt junk food or anything just healthy stuff....i mean i think the chicken diet is good...sometimes when u compare old white ladies to the other hmong ladies most of the hmong ladies seem to be more strudy......and the chicken diet is good....even some of the american nurses know about it and they tell me that they were on it too when they were pregnant...so it hink the chicken diet it good...
HERK9034
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2008 at 1:04 AM
wow! i can't believe you went the whole month Passion!  lol. I cheated on day one: drank some apple juice.  I think I lasted three, maybe four days.  My hubby stopped cooking for me and I was too darn tired to do it.... I can't remember what I ate, but I think it was a chicken salad sandwich from Culvers. I kinda felt guilty....I think every time I cheated I got something from McDonalds (I went back to school five days after I had my son so I could actually GO OUT)..  it was right on my way to school!!!!!!!!  besides, how else could I keep my lovely figure if it wasn't for McDonalds???!! lol
PassionM
by Group Owner on Apr. 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Quoting HERK9034:

wow! i can't believe you went the whole month Passion!  lol. I cheated on day one: drank some apple juice.  I think I lasted three, maybe four days.  My hubby stopped cooking for me and I was too darn tired to do it.... I can't remember what I ate, but I think it was a chicken salad sandwich from Culvers. I kinda felt guilty....I think every time I cheated I got something from McDonalds (I went back to school five days after I had my son so I could actually GO OUT)..  it was right on my way to school!!!!!!!!  besides, how else could I keep my lovely figure if it wasn't for McDonalds???!! lol
I have to say it wasn't so bad for me because I really didn't cook much or eat very much Hmong foods living by myself.  My sister and mom each came for a couple of weeks and prepared everything for me and only left me by myself for the last two weeks.  Even than everything was done all I have to do was make the rice.  Throw in some water and than toss the chickens and herbs that were in there each freezer bag and fridge bag.  LOL...but it was my chance to have some real Hmong foods.  At the end of the month McDonalds and Culvers does sounds very good to me too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)