Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

rules at home

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 8:46 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 252 Total Views

My 18yr old chose to live at home and go to a local university. I'm lovin' having her at home.  Problem is....she comes and goes as she pleases.  I have always been the type to keep my thumb on her and check up on her and it feels good to give her some freedom. However, I guess I don't know what rules are appropriate. She is taking 15 hrs (2 night classes) and works about 20+ hrs per week.  By the time she throws in her social life, she is rarely home.  She has a group of friends who an apartment so she spends a lot of time at their place...probably spends the night with them 2-3 nights/week.  She also has a boyfriend.  She leaves her room a mess and it seems that I have to tell her 5 times to put a plate in the sink!!!  She is usually very disciplined with school and makes good grades.  However, with all she is trying to juggle I'm not sure how she's doing and no grades have been posted yet.  Any suggestions on rules of the house for this age???

by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
dancer33
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM

My 19 yr daughter lives at school but when she comes home she knows there are rules.  She has to let me know where she is and when she will be home. She can sleep over and come in whenever but I have to know the details so I don't worry about her.  Sit down and talk with her explain you want to give her the freedom since she is an adult but show the respect to let you know so you don't worry.  Also as far as cleaning etc. let her know that if she lived on her own she would not have you to help her so she should take care of her own clean up.  My rule as long as your under my roof my rules.    As far as grades unfortunately that is all on her if she is having an issue she will need to make the decision to make a change.   hope this helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)