Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Year...New Member

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 199 Total Views

Poll

Question: When should I stop claiming my daughter on my tax return?

Options:

after she turns 19

when she moves out

after she reaches 18

when she begins taking care of herself

none of the above...please reply to post with your comment

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 2

View Results

I just want to say thank you for having me as a new member.

A little information about me: My oldest daughter is in her first year of college. It is a difficult time because she was forced to take loans. I am helping her as much as I can but as a single mother (her father is deceased, has been since 1994 and no social security was awarded), I am having a very difficult time. She is the first in our family to attend college. Her goal is to be an accountant.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
UCFANDFGCUMOM
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Welcome to our little but every day growing group!

That being said...affording college is a full-time job!!LOL!  I would definatelt look for some scholarships there are alot of opportunities if you do your homework and search for them.  Financial aid dept. might be the place to start.  Check the university for scholarships offered by the college itself.  Since she is maj. in business, there are usually quite a few scholarships offered by the university itself.(At least that is the case where my daughter attends...Some times I think she should have majored in the area that offers the greatest amount of $$..LOL!!)  Also being from a single income family might offer help.  Did she apply for her FAFSA??

Hope some of this help!  Again welcome to our family!

Donna

tenisma
by Member on Mar. 1, 2009 at 2:49 AM

I would say it depends on who is supporting DD. I claim her only because we support her in her schooling. I believe since she is only in her first year you paid all of her expenses for 08 but I am not sure. Check with someone that does taxes or online. Best to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)