Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW FAR AWAY DOES OR DID YOUR TEEN GO T COLLEGE?PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 418 Total Views

We want our dds to go to college two hours or less from home.  Do you feel that way and did they?  Do they put down roots and want to stay in the new faraway college town? What's your take? What about you and your college experience.  Thanks.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mariedchk
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 7:22 AM

My son goes about 45 minutes from our home. We live in Roanoke, and he goes to school at VT in Blacksburg! It's a straight shot down 81! Very nice that he is close, but far enough away to be away from home! Thanks goodness we were so close so we could go down and get him after the shootings!!!! He is a senior this year, and lived in BB over the summer doing an internship! He loves living in the college town! This school was his 1 and only choice, his words, so we never had the issue of setting anylimits! I have twin daughters that will graduate from high school in 2011, and I have told them that they must stay in the state of VA and that they may attend different colleges if they choose to seperate. They are both so different (fraternal twins) that even if they went to the same college they would be fine. I have also encouraged them to go to the local community college and get some required classes out of the way, then transfer where they want to go.

Good luck!

lioness3e
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Quoting dishingmom:

We want our dds to go to college two hours or less from home.  Do you feel that way and did they?

My daughter is a Freshman this year. She choose to go two hours away from home. She knew any further was not for her, and a two hour drive wasn't nothing for me. Four hours round trip that goes by pretty fast. It works for us.

Do they put down roots and want to stay in the new faraway college town?

She is planning on staying during the Summer and working on Campus. I don't see her doing this because her boyfriend will be coming home and she'll want to see/spend time with him as he's going to College three hours away from her. If she does stay I'm okay with that. It may make it easier on me emotionally not having her come and go all the time...LOL

What's your take? What about you and your college experience.  Thanks.

I did not go to College.My daughter is the first in our family. I'm very proud of her and will support her anyway I can.

maria_p
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM

My daughter just left for school on Thursday and is about 1 1/2-2 hours from home- depending on the traffic.  The good thing is she is going to school in NY and she can take the train home if she needs to which is extremely convenient.  I did not give her any restrictions to how far away from home she could be although I certainly was hoping it was not on the other side of the country and this could not have worked out better for us.  there are so many schools out there though and if you strongly feel that a 2 hour drive is what you can handle or what works for you  I am sure they will find a school that fits their needs but also is within that 2 hour drive.

dewey
by Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM

My son is six hours away in Tallahassee, which is a  long car drive  and a very expensive plane trip.  He loves Tallahassee and hopes to stay there for law school.  Never wants to come back to FT Laud.  I am very happy that he has learned to become independent.  He had car problems yesterday and handled it really well.

Paige61162
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM

My daughter moved 2 states away to go to college, from Northern California to Washington State University.  It's a 14 hour drive so I won't see her until Thanksgiving, but her sister is flying up for homecoming in Oct and my husband will be going up to hunt and then the college has a Dad's Weekend in Nov.  We have relatives about 1 1/2 hours from her and they've already visited her and have plans to take her shopping for winter clothes.  We can chat on the laptops so that's been fun.  I am having a hard time because she's my first to leave, but I'm excited for her.  When I took her for a junior preview day it made me want to go there.

UCFANDFGCUMOM
by Group Owner on Aug. 31, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Hi,

My oldest was 3 1/2 hours away at UCF in Orlando.  Our youngest is currently a Jr at Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers just 2 hours away across Alligator Alley.  We like having her far enough away to be independent but close enough to drive over for the day.  We do resist driving over frequently, but she does really appreciate it when we buzz over and take her out to dinner or take her grocery shopping on rare occasion!

Donna

sdjhae
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

My DD goes to College about 2 hours away.  This is her first year.  We told her it had to be an in State school .  It is away so she feels like she got out of our small town but she can drive home if she wants to.  I guess they will put roots down where they want to and I'm ok with that I guess that is when we chase them. 

momfor2t2
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM

My oldest DD went to college 4 hours away and now that she is in grad school she is 2 hrs. away my DS is a state away and my youngest DDjust began her freshman year and she is 4 hours away and I miss them all thank God for internet and cell phones and we visit each other every month or so.

Anne

islandwalker
by New Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM

My dd is going next week to a college in state, but a ferry ride, and 9 hours of driving including over the cascade mts, so she won't be coming home often. She got an outstanding scholarship for the school, and for financial reasons, chose to stay in state. I also went 'across the mts.' to a different college, but lived in Seattle, so it was just a couple hours drive home, and came often. My dd might very well stay in her college town, as she loves it, and her boyfriend will be 16 miles away at another college...good luck. It will be what it will be. We spend our lives raising them to be independant adults, and this is the time to let go and let them fly.... 

cab128
by Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Hi all,

My daughter wanted to get "far" away from home for college.   We looked all over the place.  Wisconsin, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kentucky.  She wanted anywhere but Illinois and was adamant about it.  My hubby and I decided that it might work out great or it may end up being a really good life lesson if it didn't work out quite right. 

We live north of Chicago and she chose Western Kentucky University - an 8 hour drive from here.  The first week was grand.  Parties and fun.  Once she started actual classes and reality set in she became incredibly homesick.  She called me sobbing every day for the second week she was there until I finally told her to come home for the Labor Day weekend. 

Since she's been back at school she's been a bit better.  We talked about the distance A LOT while she was home for the weekend.  She was now begging to transfer schools after first semester to come back and go to a school closer to home.  I took the hard nosed stance and told her that I would not discuss changing schools until she had been at WKU for at least 1 full month and had chosen 1 organization to get involved with on campus.  It's been tough for her but she has very slowly been starting to broaden her horizons.  Hopefully she will fall in love with it in the next few weeks!!  :-)  But if she doesn't it isn't the end of the world to transfer schools, is it?

So I guess my thought is, make sure they realize how far away "far" is.  My daughter never thought she'd be homesick - ever - because she's done so many things on her own.  Live and learn! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)