Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How well does your little one sleep at night?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:54 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 280 Total Views
Alexander was a great sleeper from the get go. Well, as good a sleeper as a breastfed baby can be. The first 3 weeks he would wake up every 2 hours to nurse during the night and then when he was 4 or 5 weeks old he started going for 4 or 5 hour stretches initially and then another 3 after he was changed and nursed.

Now, being 2 1/2 months old he will sleep initially for 5 hours wake up for a diaper change and to nurse and fall back asleep but it seems as if he can't get back into his "deep sleep". The past couple nights he goes down for 4 or 5 hours to start and then has a hard time getting back to sleep once he wakes up. He'll sleep for an hour or so and then wake up. I give him his binky but if it pops out of his mouth he immediately wakes up. This went on hour after hour 2 nights ago and last night. I'm not sure what's up. I will see how tonight goes.

One of my books says to wake him up and feed him before I go to bed (between 10 and midnight) to try and help "stretch" him though the night.

Don't get me wrong I am so grateful he sleep his 5 hours initially, (my daughter NEVER went that long until 11 months old) but when he goes to bed at 7:00 (I can't get him to stay up any later than that) he's up only a couple hours after I've gone to bed).

Does anyone wake their little ones up before you head to bed to help stretch them through the night?

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Mine's almost the same as yours.  He'll initially sleep for 4 or 5 hours then after that he'll wake up every 1-3 hours.  I exclusively breastfeed him.  With my first one he was mostly formula fed and slept through the night starting at 2 months! I guess that's just a sacrafice we have to make for breastfeeding, lol.  I haven't tried waking up my baby to feed him before I go to sleep and I don't think I would, but let me know if it works.  Sometimes I swear he wakes up every hour to eat.  Hopefully our babies will get past that soon.

by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Cara made three months on Wednesday and she is sleeping through the night.  I feed her at about 9 or 10 and she sleeps through til 7 or 8.  My older daughter was the same way.

by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 7:43 AM

What time do you put her down to bed? I can't get my little man to stay up much past 7:00. That's why I was considing waking him up at about 10ish to give him a good feeding. But, last night he woke up at 10:00 before I could wake him and I fed him and he still woke up at 1:00, 3:00, 4:00 and then slept until 6:30ish.

I know it could be worse I'm just trying to figure out how to help him sleep better. He's gone 7 hours at night before and I know his little tummy can handle 4 or 5 hours at a time. I'll just have to play it by ear and keep working with him.

by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM

All babies are different. Also, he may be going through a growth spurt. Youjust have to be paitient and just give it some time. I know it hard my little one was doing great at sleeping and then she started waking up again. Turns out she had a stomach bug and just didn't feel good. Now that she feeling better she is sleeping better again.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

My daughter just turned 3 months old today. She usually starts to get cranky/tired around 6pm so I give her a bath around 6:30 followed by a bottle around 7pm she's usually sound asleep by like 7:15-7:30pm and usually sleeps though the night waking up maybe once around 2 or 3 am but most of the time if she's in bed by 7:30 she'll sleep til 6 or 7am the next morning. However I cannot get her to nap during the day, i know she's tired when she starts getting fussy and starts rubbing her eyes, i try just about everything but it's like she won't sleep until it starts getting dark out. Any suggestions?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)