• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 237 Total Views

Sorry I've been MIA. We were without electricity for almost a week! AND our hose line broke and flooded the basement. CRAZY! So, until hubby gets it fixed, I'm watering with a bucket and watering can. The GOOD news is, it looks like my tomato plants are going to live. AND the green beans are sprouting up and looking awesome. Altogether, I've planted: jalapenos, garlic, basil, tomatoes, peas, grean beans, and lettuce. Unfortunately, I think the birds may have eaten most of the peas! I used the water jars, and they seem to be keeping the squirrels away, but not the bunnies! I think I'll try the fox urine for them! Thanks for all your help and tips. How are all your gardens going?

Daisypath Next Aniversary TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
marlarrie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Sorry about the electric.

I have been discouraged and happy at the same time. The locusts have been eatin' away @ the green beans and something has plucked up most of my silver queen corn in our new garden :( But on the other hand, the other corn has tassels, the okra are growing taller, my cukes are doing well and lima and speckled butter beans have finally come on the bush.

breezy2005
by Group Owner on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I was out in my garden Monday pulling out grass and I hear something. Got to looking and it was a fat rabbit eating away at my peas. Looks like I'll have to put a stop to that one.

Oh I hate to be with out electricity. When that hurricane Charlie came though here we was with out it for 4 days. Nothing like having a shower after it gets turned back on.

I have a 55 gallons rain barrel and it is full. I use it on my small garden just so I don't have to pull a hose over to it. Told hubby I want 4 more. Garden is doing really good.  

breezy2005
by Group Owner on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Oh girl now that would make me unhappy. My corn is doing really good. Everything is still really wet here. But now that I got all that grass out of my peas it has helped a lot dry it up. There is one part in the peas where they are just yellow from to much rain. i hope they will come on up and make. Time will tell.

I wish I would have planted some speckled butter beans. I might do that after the corn is ready. Is July a good month to plant them?

Got news yesterday my son will be leaving for the Air Force Oct.3rd. I have mixed feelings about that one. Right now I do not want the summer to end. Then I am very proud of him for what he is about to do with his life.

I better get off here and get busy I have a yard to clean. Hubby is not happy with me because I am going after the back yard where all his JUNK is laying around.lol

Quoting marlarrie:

I have been discouraged and happy at the same time. The locusts have been eatin' away @ the green beans and something has plucked up most of my silver queen corn in our new garden :( But on the other hand, the other corn has tassels, the okra are growing taller, my cukes are doing well and lima and speckled butter beans have finally come on the bush.

MrsSharp
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Sounds delicious. :)

Quoting marlarrie:

MrsSharp
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I definitely need to do something about the bunnies too. They are attacking my green beans!

Daisypath Next Aniversary TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

marlarrie
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Quoting breezy2005:

Oh girl now that would make me unhappy. My corn is doing really good. Everything is still really wet here. But now that I got all that grass out of my peas it has helped a lot dry it up. There is one part in the peas where they are just yellow from to much rain. i hope they will come on up and make. Time will tell.

I wish I would have planted some speckled butter beans. I might do that after the corn is ready. Is July a good month to plant them? I just learned that they perinnials...so as long as it's warm you can plant them up till the fall. I wish I had put up taller stakes for them to run....they are sooo tall....Jack & the beanstalk status....LOL!!

Got news yesterday my son will be leaving for the Air Force Oct.3rd. I have mixed feelings about that one. Right now I do not want the summer to end. Then I am very proud of him for what he is about to do with his life. Hats off to our soldiers!

I better get off here and get busy I have a yard to clean. Hubby is not happy with me because I am going after the back yard where all his JUNK is laying around.lol

Quoting marlarrie:

Goldneys
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Well, our garden is getting huge, out lettuce is ready to pick, but it looks like some bugs have been at some plants, and the durned bunnies have killed out spinach, that or the up and down heat did it....I don't know. It is frustrating, but we have so much else doing well I am not really worried about it.. I will have to post before and after photos sometime soon for everyone...

Micha

breezy2005
by Group Owner on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Please do post some picture's. I think that helps keep people going that has never did a garden before. And I love seeing how well everyone is doing with there's.

Quoting Goldneys:

Well, our garden is getting huge, out lettuce is ready to pick, but it looks like some bugs have been at some plants, and the durned bunnies have killed out spinach, that or the up and down heat did it....I don't know. It is frustrating, but we have so much else doing well I am not really worried about it.. I will have to post before and after photos sometime soon for everyone...

Micha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)