Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a bit of advice?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

hey ladies,

I'm in the middle of a particularly nasty flare up...usually, when this happens family and friends are there to help out with Kura for the duration, but this time they cant, which is perfectly reasonable...do you guys have any tips on how i can get that little bit more that i need to be able to take care of her as much as needed? Usually, when i feel a flare coming on or my morning stiffness gets particularly bad i set an alarm clock for an hour to an hour and a half before i know Kura will wake up, or I know I need to be up and use that time to try and work out the stiffness so I'm ready for the day...this time that isnt working as well as it usually does...anyone have other tricks i could try? I have an apt with my rheumatologist coming up and i plan on asking her as well when i go in...

by on Jul. 31, 2008 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
annabelles
by Group Owner on Aug. 4, 2008 at 11:36 PM

I'm so sorry I didn't see this post sooner. You poor thing...I have so busy lately.
Sounds like you need some new medications so until you speak to your doctor....
Does anything like Ibuprofen or something like Aleve help alleviate some pain?
The only thing I would do that would help is the night before you go to bed take an Ibuprofen or Aleve which ever works best for you and rub some arthritis creme on you sore joints and maybe use a heating pad for a bit then wake up nice and early start moving even if you're tired and take an Ibuprofen or Aleve again and take a very warm shower and try to avoid things like caffeine. Eat something like oatmeal or something with whole grains, new studies show whole grains helps with inflammation. And when your feet are bothering you elevate them whenever sitting and wear a good walking shoe during the day and don't take them off even if your feet are killing you until your day is done.
I hope things get better for you soon and again I'm soooo sorry for not replying to your post sooner.

Take care of yourself.
~A.

bafwabalinga
by Member on Aug. 5, 2008 at 4:51 AM

Thanks! The aleve and ibuprofen dont help enough to matter much, so i quit taking them...prefer not to take any more meds than i need too...thanks especially for the tips on my feet, i just started having trouble with them and wasnt sure what to do!

annabelles
by Group Owner on Aug. 5, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Well the trick with OTC meds like Ibuprofen and Aleve is that you don't want to over  take them because your body does get used to them and they don't work as good after a while so I don't take them unless I'm in alot of pain
I have a prescription for Ibuprofen 800mg I only take twice a week because I want it to work when I really need it.
Have you tried Tylenol Arthritis? Its a higher dose then the xtra strength.

bafwabalinga
by Member on Aug. 5, 2008 at 6:43 PM

no, i havent, I'll have to pick some up and see if it helps a bit more. Thanks!

skipet13
by on Aug. 5, 2008 at 6:51 PM

have you tried anything like glucosamine chondroitin msn. it is the joint relief supplemnts that you can buy over the counter.  hope you get to feeling better soon.

bafwabalinga
by Member on Aug. 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM

yeah take those everyday, and they do seem to help

jeninjuice
by on Aug. 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I didn't know that your body builds a tolerance to ibuprofen...maybe that's why aleve quit working. Thanks for the tip, I've been taking them religiously.

I would do what annabelle suggested, wake up a little earlier, stretch, hot shower, take some meds the night before, or...if you can, a few hours before you wake up. I used to wake up at 3 to take my meds so that I could have the gusto to get ready for work. I was up anyways because I had restless sleep. hope this helps.

annabelles
by Group Owner on Aug. 8, 2008 at 1:48 PM

yeah..I think must of can relate to having a sleepless night when the pain sometimes is just so unbearable... that's when I usually just get out of bed and rub some arthritis creme on whatever joint is killing me and wrap it up....take something either Tylenol Arthritis(which is safer than taking Ibuprofen all the time), Aleve or I'll take one of my 800 mg Ibuprofen that was prescribed but I only take those if the pain in unbearable.

loveingmybabies
by Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Hi I  hope your feeling better.I have been taking the Tylenol Arthritis since I became ill in 2003.I  also have the Ibuprfen that was pres. but only take it as I need it for hard days,cause I do know the body adjust to it if taken everday.A cream I like is Tiger Balm,they also now have patches. An old nighbor gave me a samble of a cream called    Bio-Freeze. My MIL had a tube of it and ended up buing one for me(instead of telling where she got it from.) When I find my tube Ill post more info about it.  Hot showers and then at night if my feet hurt Ill soak my feet in warm water with salt. Hope this helps a little. Illtry to post info here as I can get any

Quoting annabelles:

yeah..I think must of can relate to having a sleepless night when the pain sometimes is just so unbearable... that's when I usually just get out of bed and rub some arthritis creme on whatever joint is killing me and wrap it up....take something either Tylenol Arthritis(which is safer than taking Ibuprofen all the time), Aleve or I'll take one of my 800 mg Ibuprofen that was prescribed but I only take those if the pain in unbearable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)