Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie here!

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 210 Total Views

Hi all, my name is Rosie.  I will be 32 this month and was just diagnosed with RA about a month ago.  I have two daughters, ages 7 and 4 and I am a single mom. 

I have been dealing with the pain in my joints for years, was told I have gout at one point, tendonitits, bursitis... you name it...  and then since nothing came up on blood tests, I was told some people's joints just hurt....  I spent five years believing that, even though I was in horrible pain every day.   Recently I had an MRI done on my spine for a ruptured disc I have and the sciatica pain I also deal with.  My doctor asked me if I had ever seen a rheumatologist and I told him no.  He said I have damage all up and down my spine, so he gave me a referral.  My rheumatologist did all the blood tests but also took xrays of my hands and feet.  These showed joint damage as well. 

This was kind of a vindication for me....  I had started to feel crazy almost!!!  I thought, man I don't see anyone else my age going through the pain I go through....  except for my cousin that is, who has EVERY SINGLE symptom that I do...   I mean I hurt somewhere ALL the time...  I started to wonder if I just feel pain worse than other people...  I even began to wonder if it was all in my head!! lol  So when they finally put a name to it, it half way made me feel better, but the other half of me is horrified to think that this is never going away, and I could be deformed someday!!!!  

The dr. put me on sulfasalazine, but I found out really quick I was allergic to that.  Now she prescribed me something that starts with Meta or Metha.  I haven't picked up the prescription yet cause I have had a cold and couldn't start it while sick.

My question to everyone is this.  Do the meds help? I mean really help the pain?  How long did it take to give some kind of relief?  And has anyone progressed into visibly while on meds???

I am so glad there are other people out there that I can talk to and they know exactly what I am going through!

by on Nov. 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jeninjuice
by on Nov. 12, 2008 at 11:48 AM

hi rose!

your dr might have given you methotrexate, and to be honest, I didn't have the best time while it took. It takes like 6 weeks to see results , and I started it at the beginning of this year. I took me 6 months to start seeing some relief. I still hurt somewhere all the time, as you put it, but I can at least get myself dressed and ready...which is a vast improvement. It did take a while, but you will see better days.

welcome to the group! check back with us gals, as we put up new info and new posts. also, I suggest you read the article on the potential cure, very promising news.

take care!

roseredinbak
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for the welcome!  Yeah that is the name of the medication she gave me.  I sure hope it helps... WOW six months????  do all medications take that long I wonder??  Well my other dr. put me on tramadol and that does take the edge off the pain at least.  I just hope that this other medication will even stop it from happening...  I read that article on the cure... man that would be awesome!!!  And I'm sure insurace companies would pay for it considering the costs of treating someone over their lifetime...  I hope it works and they get it out to us soon!!!

jeninjuice
by on Nov. 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I know, I want the cure NOW. I have no patience. but, for me, the right combo of methotrexate with prednisone is what took so long to figure out, so ya, it took a loooong time. plus I had a newborn, whew! but, my experience did bring me closer to Jesus, so I do have something good that came out of that whole thing.

Rachel0116
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:21 AM
Hi sweetie! I too am 32 and was misdiagnosed as a teen. I started having symptoms when i was 18 and was officially diagnosed with ra at 26. I too have sever joint damage and am allergic to a long list of meds to include anti-inflammatory, steroids, and otc NSAIDS. So, needless to say i fight a losing battle. I take methotraxate (1ml self injected subq weekly) & i do rituxan infusions. So far i have seen no relief and have had to get cortisone shots to function. I hope your luck is better than mine. I can understand being in constant pain. I never have relief. Ive had to rely on my family to help w/ simple tasks. RA has a way of making you a humble person and appreciating little accomplishments!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)