Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate changing Doctors!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 12:57 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 243 Total Views

So, I moved over the summer from WA to CA.  I finally got a job, got insurance, got referred to a new Rheumy, all that fun stuff.  He is nice, he gave me good pain meds, but his approach to the DMARD's is frustrating me.  When I was first diagnosed it was following a hip replacement due to the fact that I was diagnosed as "depressed" by 5 or 6 doctors when I first got sick.  Within 5 years it got so bad that the surgery was my only option and the surgeon wasn't sure there was enough bone left to take the replacement.  Anyway, the first Rheumy I went to was very aggressive, he started me on methotrexate and enbrel, as well as prednisone and Nsaids.  That was in 2004.  In 2008 I started noticing more frequent flares and determined that the enbrel and mtx combo wasn't working, we increased the mtx to 9 tabs a week, and before my follow up to discuss other options I moved.  So I tell all of this to the new doctor and all he wants to put me on is MTX 4 tabs a week.  I am living on Norco right now and I do not like it, but I have no other choice.  The worst part is that my sed rate went down from 36 to 29 after starting the mtx so I am afraid he is going to say it's working.  On the other hand I could be overreacting, I don't go for my first follow up until early May, maybe he will be willing to discuss this further at that point.  Just needing to vent I suppose, I miss having a doctor who treat aggresively, I'd rather go overboard and save my joints!!

by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
loveingmybabies
by Member on Jun. 23, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Im sorry about your illness. I have RA as well. Ive had it since Nov of 2003. I lost my job due to the illness,so no insurance. I just finally got some not to ling ago. And of course there are the In-Network-Docs you can see. Well, the one here where I live,Iwont go to. I do not feel comfortable with him,I feel he is judgemental and not very open minded.So then I finallhy got a referral to a diff Doc in a diff city. So now I make a 3hr round trip to and fom the new Docs. Ive only seen him once so far,have an appointment at the end of the month, but I think this could work out good. I truly do hope things improve with your new Doc,to me having a good Doc who is willing to sit and not only dicuss but lieasten to what we have to say is also part of the treatment.hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)