• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to make a girls comforter?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 556 Total Views

Hi,

I want to try to make a twin size bed comforter for my three year old.  I want to use her favorite colors.  Anyone have any ideas?  I have no idea where to start?

Thanks,

Kari

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Addys_Mom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:34 AM

are you planning on doing two or three different fabrics or are you hoping to do one piece of fabric with the colors in it? I can help with either but i would need to know. Respond here or message me :)

VeronicaTex
by on Feb. 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM

When I think comforter, I think of quilting and lining-and a lot of work!!!!

But what I have done is to use a cheaper quilt-then make a duvet cover for it.  These can be made in any fabric you like. 

I use several yards of fabric-45 inches-just measure a regular twin size flat sheet for the dimensions-length and width.  Allow extra to tuck under the mattress and for seam allowances.   Use one length -45" or 60" down the middle and then the same length cut again-except this time cut the fabric length wise -you will have 2 pieces.  Sew these on the left and right of the middle piece.  You now have the top.  A sheet can be used for the bottom-or you could do the same on the bottom in contrasting fabric to flip for a different look.   Sew all this together and also sew ties in the corners of the duvet cover on the wrong side and also sew ones on the cheap quilt.  Then on the top edge( by the headboard )of the duvet cover you could iron under the raw edges, and put ties on it or buttons to close it.  An envelope type finish could be used and completed with buttons or velcro.  The cheap quilt can be inserted-tied on the inside, then closed up.

I always try to look for fabric on sale-or use those 50% off coupons-or can be inspired by something already finished off.  For example:    One of my favorite covers is not a comforter-but a bedspread I made from a very fancy olive green tablecloth that has velveteen borders- with ribbon roses-Christmas leftovers.  I used the same directions as I did above with 2 tablecloths(one down the middle and the outsides from the other tablecloth split down the middle and have a huge warm bedspread (king size) that washes up beautifully.  I also used the runner to make a long pillow-just split open the seam and stuffed it-the same with 2 placemats-pillows!!!

Another option is to buy quilted fabric-use the same concept above and cover the seams with fancy ribbon, then finish raw edges around it with binding. Also appliques could be applied or patterns could be mixed.  The variations, using your child's favorite colors and styles are endless.

Another idea is to use cotton on the outside and fill with quilt batting-however be aware that this bunches when washed unless sewed (like quilting) to keep it from shifting. The quilters I know recommend using an old mattress cover-already quilted.  These can be bought cheaply at thrift stores.

This sounds difficult, but really is very fast and easy-just straight stitching, making a huge envelope. I then use the duvet covers as bedspreads in warmer weather.

I hope this has helped you!!!  Enjoy your endeavor-please post pictures when you are done. 

shelleathome
by Member on Feb. 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I'm curious why you want to make it...is there a specific theme you are going for? I myself made duvet covers for my girls when they were little but quickly realized it wasn't a good option because of all the work keeping them on and straight. What I've done since then to create a look I like is to purchase a plain comforter and then accessorize it with jewels, ribbon etc for a designer look. I'd love to hear your ideas and plan and see what creative ideas you get!

Carey2006
by Member on Feb. 4, 2010 at 1:13 PM

My gram made me one using an old comforter/thick blanket as the 'filler'/batter/inner of the new one.......she just got material that I liked that was big enough to cover the front and back of the old/I think she might had even used two different on the different sides(front back) so it was kinda reversible...it's almost like a cover sheet for the old blanket. Good Luck!!!!

deann66
by Member on Mar. 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM

My 11 yr old dd made one last year in school. They just cut wide strips and sewed them together right sides facing to make the front. They then did a border by sewing another fabric to the edges and mitering the ends. Some of them chose to have boxed corners and not mess with mitering. Then they put the front, pc of the fabric they used for the border (same sz as finshed front), and batting together with two fabrics right fcing each other and the batting on one side. Sewed it together except leaving one part open big enough to turn it all righ side out so the batting was then INSIDE the two pcs of fabric. Blind stitch the opening and then they stitched in the sitch (the seams where you sewed the strips together) to hold it all together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)