Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone know

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 340 Total Views

okay i have these cabinets that are pressed wood or laminate or whatever, i call em sawdust with coting l?l anyway i wonder if i can paint them? I have a med blue color picked out for them, with a wheat color on the wall. my curtains have the same blue in a teacup pattern then im carring the blue into the living/dining room for an accent wall with the same wheat color on the other walls. the bathroom ive yet to figure out....but then in case i cant paint the cabs  thinking the  blue as a chair rail down and the wheat on top and just leave the cabinets alone except for getting blue knobs and pulls

by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SoniaL
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I bet you can paint those cabinets. Just rough them up a bit with sand paper. They don't look shiny which should make it even easier.

Jodanro
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM

You can absolutely paint them :)  As the pp said, you will need to sand just a bit.  Taking the doors off makes it fairly easy.  The frames should be solid wood, so the only thing you have to worry about are the door fronts.  You can sand them, but you have to be careful not to sand to hard.  Just enough to rough up the finish.  Sand..Prime..Paint.  Your new blue cabinets will be fabulous!

QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM

They have a product out there that is a primer and makes the surface "sticky". I can't think of the name of it but I am sure if you ask at the home improvement center they would know..well, hopefully they would know....anyway, if you use that and then sand it well it will do great for you. I am like you, I just hate that material..contractor grade for sure. I know they need to watch their costs when building, but please don't cut  corners on the cabinets, they make our homes beautiful...or NOT.

reddmarie
by Member on May. 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM

There's a particular primer/paint....for kitchen cabinets, also...reputable paint stores can help...even look online...just because of the cabinets that you 'open/use' daily, something sturdy needed, so paint doesn't 'wear off' ..have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)