Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help on the outside

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM
  • 31 Replies
  • 809 Total Views

This is my home, we recently had the cedar shake and vinyl siding added.. A big step up from what the home used to look like..I feel like it's missing something...I think it's missing shutters..A lot of people tell me no, but some people tell me yes..If I add shutters..What colors should I use? I recently added new solar lights and a brick border. I also feel like it's missing a plant where the two windows are...Any ideas??? I really need them!

preview image

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Lilypie

Lilypie

Lilypie

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crystallynn
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 10:05 AM

IF you did shutters, I would go with a dark brick red color- but honestly, I think some more landscaping would make a world of difference.

LovinMy2Girlz
by New Member on May. 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I think adding shutters would be too much.. but I like the look of simplicity.. What I would do.. is border off the plant area and then put down white rocks or a dark red mulch around the plants.. Maybe get a water feature for below the two windows?

virginiamama71
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I would not do shutters but would make the porch wider or do some landscaping

Fourcheeks4
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of adding red mulch (thanks)..white rocks..not so much..Like I said earlier I already added a brick border, just have to update pictures. Doing a wider porch is just not in the budget right now. We would love to do it. =) We are going to add vinyl rails because replacing the wooden ones every year stinks! Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming! I need the help!

Fourcheeks4
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM

This is a picture of my brother, myself and my three kiddos..You  can see the brick border, but I removed those lights and added stainless steel ones.

preview image

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Lilypie

Lilypie

Lilypie

reddmarie
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I'd try window boxes...anchor both ends of the house with something tall..arbor vitae or something,,? Another idea that's small but can have big impact...painting that outside frame of windows and doors a deeper shade of your siding..or another accent/contrast color...amazing what that little 'stripe' of color can do to make something look 'finished'. Bushes under the windows, should be trimmed to just below the window...imo...adorable house..love love that siding! Shutters are kind of boring. Try small things...window boxes that can be removed is a nice addition...or tall stands with plants..landscaping is the key here, I think...good luck..what a cute house!

ilovetosew
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Very cute! Very cape cod cottage feel. yes I think shutters would be great! Also some window boxes on the front. I would add some more white and blue flowers with maybe a touch of yellow ones for a pop of color. Very cute house!

Fourcheeks4
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Before and After..This picture is after we removed the hideous bright blue shutters and replaced the windows

This is a bad camera photo of what the house looks right now. The plant where the single window is, is not a bush, it's a Japanese maple tree..We have three Japanese Maples just in the front.

TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on May. 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM

You need some color on your door!  I love shutters and think it would look much better...matching the door....I think you have to pick a color YOU like...go get some swatches and see what looks better against the siding. Landscaping makes a world of difference. Something symetrical on both sides and those two little pots on your porch need flowers!!!

I love your house....love the cedar shakes! You could put any color in the owrld with the color of your house and it will look great!

brancoj
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I like the new look. I think you need color in those pots on the steps. I would also reccommend putting up your house numbers next to the door and shutters!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)