Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My parents wanted a sunroom but were not allowed due to zoning restrictions?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 392 Total Views

They were not allowed to add on since their lot is quite small.  What would you do in this situation if you wanted that sunroom and it wasn't possible?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamadowns
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I would be really mad!  We want to put up a fence in the spring and if anything or anyone stands in my way I'm going to be so furious!! 

kmrtigger
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Do they have a back porch?

Or a room they don't really use? (They could add a bunch of windows to it to make it a sun room.)

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:24 PM

No, there house is so small!  There lot is really tiny too.  :(

Quoting kmrtigger:

Do they have a back porch?

Or a room they don't really use? (They could add a bunch of windows to it to make it a sun room.)

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I know, right?  I hope you get your fence!!

Quoting mamadowns:

I would be really mad!  We want to put up a fence in the spring and if anything or anyone stands in my way I'm going to be so furious!! 

KBix
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM

i would throw a fit. Im sorry they cant do what they want

decor42
by Head Admin on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Working with our local assessor and zoning officer I am all to familiar with these complaints.

Understandable that it is your property and you are responsible for the taxes but unfortunately there are rules as silly as they may seem.

Until 6 or 7 years ago we had several smaller farming communities that didn't have set regulations.

When the regulations were put into place people started to scream.

There are several reasons why things changed.

#1 safety/health issues and concerns.

#2  Knowing the approximate cost of the project in order to increase your assessment that $$$ amount.

I know that a lot size has to be a specific size and that does change according to location/state.

Have you checked to see if your parents can apply for a variance?

For us that would mean applying for another permit and paying an additional fee.

You would then have to create a drawing and material/construction proposal which can be put together by your parents.

If not exact to scale don't worry as long as the planning board members are able to decipher their intentions.

Next step would be to attend a board meeting in hopes of getting it approved.

I would check to see if they could build if they were to scale down the size of the room as well as apply for a variance?

You may also want to check with your state guidelines to be certain that your parents town in is compliance. Simply said the town/village has to operate in accordance with the states rules and regulations.

An example of that would be having an unlicensed vehicle in the yard.  The zoning officer can not ask that the vehicle be removed from (regardless of the condition)the property as my state law says that the resident is entitled to have 1 unlicensed vehicle.

When my son was a senior he purchased a sporty car from the original owner. He didnt want to drive it during the winter so he took it off the road and parked it beside our Morton building.

The visits, letters and threats were endless. In turn my son was forced to put the car in rental storage which was expensive.

After this was all said and done I now know that our past zoning officer was out of line. Our state does allow 1 unlicensed vehicle and our town was not in complaince with them.

Professional interior decorator and organizer.

welcome to cafemom

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:50 AM

About the vehicle, we ran into a similar situation- our son parked a vintage car out at the back of our lot- and we have a large lot, but more than one person told us that was illegal, so we finally had to have our son have the car removed.

Quoting decor42:

Working with our local assessor and zoning officer I am all to familiar with these complaints.

Understandable that it is your property and you are responsible for the taxes but unfortunately there are rules as silly as they may seem.

Until 6 or 7 years ago we had several smaller farming communities that didn't have set regulations.

When the regulations were put into place people started to scream.

There are several reasons why things changed.

#1 safety/health issues and concerns.

#2  Knowing the approximate cost of the project in order to increase your assessment that $$$ amount.

I know that a lot size has to be a specific size and that does change according to location/state.

Have you checked to see if your parents can apply for a variance?

For us that would mean applying for another permit and paying an additional fee.

You would then have to create a drawing and material/construction proposal which can be put together by your parents.

If not exact to scale don't worry as long as the planning board members are able to decipher their intentions.

Next step would be to attend a board meeting in hopes of getting it approved.

I would check to see if they could build if they were to scale down the size of the room as well as apply for a variance?

You may also want to check with your state guidelines to be certain that your parents town in is compliance. Simply said the town/village has to operate in accordance with the states rules and regulations.

An example of that would be having an unlicensed vehicle in the yard.  The zoning officer can not ask that the vehicle be removed from (regardless of the condition)the property as my state law says that the resident is entitled to have 1 unlicensed vehicle.

When my son was a senior he purchased a sporty car from the original owner. He didnt want to drive it during the winter so he took it off the road and parked it beside our Morton building.

The visits, letters and threats were endless. In turn my son was forced to put the car in rental storage which was expensive.

After this was all said and done I now know that our past zoning officer was out of line. Our state does allow 1 unlicensed vehicle and our town was not in complaince with them.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:54 AM

About building restrictions, sometimes they are to keep people from building too close to their property line and making the area unpleasant for neighbors. If they really can't build the room, even after applying for varience, then maybe they can make a wall of their living room into essentially a glass wall, and if they have a way to close off the wall in the winter- shutters or folding doors, for example, then they may have as close as they can get. Also maybe skylights would make the area brighter.

momkelly2
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM

We had a flat roof over our kitchen..  when we raised the roof to make the house a full two story house.. we went out over that kitchen roof and that is our sun room off of our bedroom.  

we also had to have a varience because the rules had changed for the distance from the property line..      in getting that varience we had to allow letters to be sent to our entire neighborhood to insure that no one had an objection.     We got our raised roof and our sun room.  

it is worth looking into. 

you may have to jump through hoops..  stay on them.. pay attention.. but  if you get what you want..  it is worth it.

Catherine 
There is no MD after my name..  
 I am just a mom with years of experience raising ADHD kids.... LOL

decor42
by Head Admin on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Quoting momkelly2:

We had a flat roof over our kitchen..  when we raised the roof to make the house a full two story house.. we went out over that kitchen roof and that is our sun room off of our bedroom.  

we also had to have a varience because the rules had changed for the distance from the property line..     

In my town the normal allowable distance is 50 feet to an adjoining property line but one can apply for a variance for 25 feet to an adjoining property line. As for involving neighbors we dont have to because our over all lot size has to be a minimum of 4000 sq ft.  We have nearly 3 acres. But in saying that we looked into putting a pond here and because the acreage is less than 4 acres we would have to fence it in COMPLETELY.  That detracts from the natural aspect of a pond.

in getting that varience we had to allow letters to be sent to our entire neighborhood to insure that no one had an objection.     We got our raised roof and our sun room.  

it is worth looking into. 

It definitely is worth the effort. Sometimes the people with these positions develop an attitude. Overlook it and look into your states guidelines. Your town has to be in compliance with them.

you may have to jump through hoops..  stay on them.. pay attention.. but  if you get what you want..  it is worth it.

We had a gentleman that jumped through hoops all the way around.  Meaning he made himself a permanent private campsite. He bought a lot on the main road but about 4 miles from the village.  The lot had all amenities plus a pond.  He parked his camper there, proceeded to build a massive deck, built an outhouse all though it has a real toilet in it hooked to the water and sewer and then installed a panel box to have access to the electric.  On top of that he dug up the end of the driveway (state property) installed a larger sleuth pipe then proceeded to dig a trench along the entire length of the property and added additional drainage pipe. He was fined for not having permits.  He should have applied for several and he was made to get the necessary permits needed.  To the tune of nearly $500 to try and avoid doing things the RIGHT way.  The property has been re-classified and he is not at all happy. It is not considered a rec lot but a permanent residence as it can be used year round. He is currently fighting as he says he is going to build on the lot in a couple of years.  Until then he has to pay in order to play.  Be sure that you inquire at your building and fire safety division as well.  They may have some answers for you.

Professional interior decorator and organizer.

welcome to cafemom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)