Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weird detergent smell

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 336 Total Views

I picked up a few fun things at a vintage store, and then also at a thrift store months later, and two items (one from each place) have this seriously heavy, cloying perfume smell to them - not a perfume I could stand, it's like headache perfume - and it will NOT wash out!!

I've soaked them in baking soda, vinegar, used a variety of detergents and nothing, but nothing will get this heavy perfumy smell out.  It does not smell like any detergent I know with their "spring" or lemony smells or even lavender or something like that.  This is a heavy, musky, perfumy, synthetic smell.

Has anyone else run into this?  What is this smell?  How do I kill it?  I'm beginning to think I need a bible, a candle and some Jesuits . . .

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I had sweatshirt a while back that I bought at a chain store and it smelled like smoke/fire.  I could seriously not get the smell out and ended up returning it.  I hope you find something that works to get rid of that smell.

KBix
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM

try handwashing them in original dawn

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Did you find anything that worked in getting the smell out?

dustinsmommy74
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM

This

Quoting KBix:

try handwashing them in original dawn

TempestRayne
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I agree with the dawn, or any dish soap, really. the part of perfume that has scent is an oil, and the dish soap will break down the oil.

LollyD
by Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Okay, I am going to give the Dawn a whirl - and it's the dishsoap I already have - yay!   I'll post back my results.

KBix
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 5:08 PM

i hope it works for you!

Quoting LollyD:

Okay, I am going to give the Dawn a whirl - and it's the dishsoap I already have - yay!   I'll post back my results.

Kristina~mommy to Bailian and wife to Brad~ 
kmrtigger
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Good luck! 

AM-BRAT
by on Jul. 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM

If it's a light color, try a mix of dawn and peroxide.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)