Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 383 Total Views

my poor living room is barren. The ceilings are so high i'm at a lost. We aren't in to tapestry type things(sorry about the tree but these are the last pics i took of my living room!

the blanket, tree are gone now lol

side wall in living room

here is what it looks like w/o furniture

Kristina~mommy to Bailian and wife to Brad~ 
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
decor42
by Head Admin on Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:30 AM

I would consider painting the ceiling a lighter version of the wall color.  Bring the ceiling color down onto the walls to level of the bottom of the first panel above the FP.

This will make the ceiling appear lower.

Continue with this color chip then take the 2nd or 3rd lightest color and use that on the 2nd panel above the FP.

Finally paint the bottom panel the 3rd or 4th color from the paint chip.

This is now your focal wall as it should be because of the FP.

This gradual color along with painting the ceiling will draw the eye down into the room.

What about adding a mirror or large piece of art over the FP?

Create the look of custom built ins by purchasing stock bookshelves.

Placing one on each side of the fireplace along with adding molding such as on the FP mantle will make this empty space come alive.

You could paint/paper the backs of the cabinets.

Your windows can be dressed up by adding molding as well. Repeat the molding as in the Juliette/upper opening.

As for curtains look for something with a pattern as everything is plain.

You can now pull a color or two from your fabric for accent colors.

Adding pillows to the couch will add color there as well.

An area rug will also help to bring the eye to the true LIVING area of this room as well as define your seating arrangement, add color and texture.

Can you post pics of the other sides of the room with your furnishings?

Professional interior decorator and organizer.

welcome to cafemom

KBix
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM
Thanks for the advice and currently I can't take any pics until I buy a new camera

Quoting decor42:

I would consider painting the ceiling a lighter version of the wall color.  Bring the ceiling color down onto the walls to level of the bottom of the first panel above the FP.

This will make the ceiling appear lower.

Continue with this color chip then take the 2nd or 3rd lightest color and use that on the 2nd panel above the FP.

Finally paint the bottom panel the 3rd or 4th color from the paint chip.

This is now your focal wall as it should be because of the FP.

This gradual color along with painting the ceiling will draw the eye down into the room.

What about adding a mirror or large piece of art over the FP?

Create the look of custom built ins by purchasing stock bookshelves.

Placing one on each side of the fireplace along with adding molding such as on the FP mantle will make this empty space come alive.

You could paint/paper the backs of the cabinets.

Your windows can be dressed up by adding molding as well. Repeat the molding as in the Juliette/upper opening.

As for curtains look for something with a pattern as everything is plain.

You can now pull a color or two from your fabric for accent colors.

Adding pillows to the couch will add color there as well.

An area rug will also help to bring the eye to the true LIVING area of this room as well as define your seating arrangement, add color and texture.

Can you post pics of the other sides of the room with your furnishings?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM

My inclination would be to have the ceiling the same color as the walls, and I'd have the area above the mantle the same color also, with maybe some kind of slightly darker print in the same color to add a subtle interest.

KBix
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM

would i need to paint all of upstairs ceiling too?

Quoting Bmat:

My inclination would be to have the ceiling the same color as the walls, and I'd have the area above the mantle the same color also, with maybe some kind of slightly darker print in the same color to add a subtle interest.

TempestRayne
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Wow, I know that someotimes pics can be a bit misleading (you should see some of the pics of houses we have seen in our house hunt, they are nothing like what is actually there) but how high is your ceiling?

KBix
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM

24 or 26 foot ceilings im not sure just really really tall lol. my living room is as tall as the entire house.

Quoting TempestRayne:

Wow, I know that someotimes pics can be a bit misleading (you should see some of the pics of houses we have seen in our house hunt, they are nothing like what is actually there) but how high is your ceiling?

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I can't tell from the pictures. I am thinking not.

Quoting KBix:

would i need to paint all of upstairs ceiling too?

Quoting Bmat:

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Wow!  What a beautiful room.  I am not great at decorating but maybe some huge canvas paintings or even a large flatscreen TV. 

KBix
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:59 PM

lol my husband wants one

Quoting owensmom34:

Wow!  What a beautiful room.  I am not great at decorating but maybe some huge canvas paintings or even a large flatscreen TV. 

dustinsmommy74
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:38 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)