Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you believe in omens or signs?? my funny story

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 5774 Total Views

normally i dont believe in omens, signs or anything of that sort. the other night when i opened the french doors to let the dogs out there was this giant bug thing staring at me. i hate bugs, they freak me out i want nothing to do with them so what do i do i slam the door and run to the living room screaming "eew get it ewww get it" to my husband and im jumping up and down (im laughing now as i remember my reaction haha) "whats wrong? what is it?" jacob (my hubby) said. i couldnt talk i was screaming and jumping up and down freaking out comepletly. lol i could only get out "get it..eeeww..walking stick..door" hes laughing hysterically and trying to figure out what im saying.. haha.. he went to the door and he says "its just a praying mantis, it wont hurt you".. i dont care and as soon as he opened the door i bolted down the hallway to our room. its been on my mind since it happened and i just wanted to know if a praying mantis lands on your door is it a sign or omen of some sort? ive been trying to look it up online but not finding much, only other people asking the same question.. plz someone help before i drive myself crazy hahaha what would you do if this little guy was staring you in the face when you open a door.. i kept thinking its gonna jump on me eeeewww...hahahahaha

i hope its ok that i posted this here even though it has nothing to do with design :D

by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof754
by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM
this is what i found :

Is the Praying Mantis a Good Omen?

Animal Symbolism - Insect Totem Meanings

Mar 3, 2010 Alfred Thutloa

The Praying Mantis is a Fortunate Sign  - The Field Museum Library
The Praying Mantis is a Fortunate Sign - The Field Museum Library
The Praying Mantis is said to be a symbol of meditation and contemplation. It's a peculiar insect that carries meaning for some, coupled with an urban legend of note.

Word has it that sighting a Praying Mantis is a sign of good fortune. While some people attach some value to old wives' tales and urban legends, others regard any form of animal symbolism as fictitious and full of esoteric illusions.

Described as a "large green insect that eats other insects," with the female often eating the male during copulation (Oxford Advanced Leaner's Dictionary: 2000: 913), the Praying Mantis is a strange cannibalistic creature that somehow evokes some meaning for some.

Animal symbolism is not just about alternative beliefs or spirituality, whether it's an urban legend or historic narrative, the Praying Mantis occupies a special place in human imagination, here is more information about this insect and the symbolism attached to it.

Read more at Suite101: Is the Praying Mantis a Good Omen?: Animal Symbolism - Insect Totem Meanings http://philosophy.suite101.com/article.cfm/is-the-praying-mantis-a-good-omen#ixzz0xCmNc1SQ
mrslolo83
by Member on Aug. 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM

thank you :) i hope it does mean good fortune!

momof754
by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 11:16 PM

for your sake, i hope it does too!

kmrtigger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Okay, growing up my great grandmother was full of old wives tales and beliefs.  And one of the ones I remember her sharing with me was that if you saw a praying mantis on your door, in or outside your house, there is a pregnant woman living in this house.

But as I said she was full of old wives tales. Most to which I believe in as well.

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Not really...my only belief is in god

mrslolo83
by Member on Aug. 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM

omg if only that were true hehe, since im the only woman in the house and cant have kids i guess thats not true.. im going to tell hubby about this heehee

Quoting kmrtigger:

Okay, growing up my great grandmother was full of old wives tales and beliefs.  And one of the ones I remember her sharing with me was that if you saw a praying mantis on your door, in or outside your house, there is a pregnant woman living in this house.

But as I said she was full of old wives tales. Most to which I believe in as well.

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I do believe in such things. Especially with this particular insect.

Beth100
by Member on Aug. 22, 2010 at 12:41 PM

butterfly on headPraying Mantis are a good sign.....even for a bug hater.....They keep other harmful insects gone, they do not bite, are not harmful in any way.  They are a "good bug".  Do not be afraid!  Beth100

dustinsmommy74
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM

This made me laugh. LOL I have always heard that they are good omens though. I hate bugs to so I don't blame you for freaking.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2010 at 5:10 PM

They are beneficial insects, so in a sense they are a good omen, in that they are eating other insects that you may not want around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)