Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Painting wood paneling

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2010 at 1:02 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 450 Total Views

Our house has that icky wood paneling.  It's been painted over in all the rooms that have it but my dd's room. I plan on painting it a light purple. Do I need to use a primer first? Or can I just paint it with reg white paint then the purple?

by on Oct. 17, 2010 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mehargval
by Member on Oct. 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM
I would definitely use a primer. You will probably even need two or three coats of it. Paneling seems to just absorb paint and it shows through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Oct. 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

You could but the primer kinda acts like a filler too...since the wood will most likely suck up just straight paint. If you use just white paint first, you might need to paint an extra coat or two. I don;t always use primer either!

IF you haven't gotten her paint yet, you can get the paint that has the primer in it. It seems like a bigger expense at first, but it saves you in time and coats of paint!

BellaH10
by Member on Oct. 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I had wood paneling in my entire house. I used primer on the majority of the walls. However I ran out one day and just ended up using WHITE super white paint and it turned out just fine.  But definitely use something (primer if you have it) before putting a color on there.

mommy2xp
by Member on Oct. 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Thanks ladies. I will use primer, since I have to buy something anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN