Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How I Met My House!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 6:01 AM
  • 86 Replies
  • 5330 Total Views

I want you to tell us all what led you to choose the home you live in. How long have you been there? Is it your first home? Do you plan on living there for many years?

We built our house 14 years ago. We bought the lot off my FIL and quickly picked one to fit our budget....which at the time wasn't much. Since then we've added a garage, 2 decks, a pool, lots of landscaping and fencing,  and tore out and changed the layout of the upstairs...replaced, many, many things such as the bathrooms, lights, flooring, etc.

It's a cape cod with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths...not much square footage for 5, so I hope to sell when the market turns around and find something a little more suitable for all of us. I just wasn't thinking when we were building..I had a toddler and a newborn and needed something they could put up fast! I regret not really looking at other builders and I certainly regret the hunter green carpet I put on the whole first floor! YIKES! (That was changed after 3 years !)

Tell me how you found your house!

Myspace Comments  

by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 6:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emmy217
by Member on Dec. 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this

My finace and I were house hunting for about 8 months. We saw tons of houses but nothing was for us. We put an offer on a house we thought we really wanted. We were outbid and we were really bummed out! Then there was this one house online. The outside was cute--but my first view of the kitchen (the picture online) and I said no way. Ugly wood cupboards, ugly wood paneling, ugly carpet...it was just ugly. We searched and searched some more and nothing came up. Mike kept bringing up the ugly house, saying "lets just go see it". I finally agrees. We came to see it. I walked in and suddenly all the potential was running through my head. I realized I LOVED the house, it was perfect for us, and we put in an offer that day. Sooooo glad we didn't end up getting the first house. When people say "it wasn't meant to be" they were more than right!! We closed on the house December 2, 2009 (one year ago!). We paid $40,000. We moved in that weekend and decided to do our remodeling projects one room at a time as money and time allows.

Our house was built in the late 1800's. It has 3 bedrooms upstairs and 2 bedrooms downstairs. One of the smaller rooms downstairs we converted into an office/laundry room. The other room downstairs is off the living room (seperated by french doors) that's Margaret's playroom. It's a work in progress. It probably always will be. But we looked passed the cosmetic issues. It got a new roof, vinyl siding, new windows, new furnace and new hot water heater all within the past 8 years.

One neat little bit of info about our house. It was built before the local hospital. Way back in the day--when it was built, since there was no hospital this is the house that was used for people to have their babies. Lots of cool history going on around here :)

Here's margaret's playroom. We just pulled up the carpet but didn't refinish those floors yet.

This is the LOVELY kitchen filled with carpet and 1970's wood tones. I've learned to live with it for now--but still looking forward to a remodel. Ahhhh the potential! :)

Devyn
by Member on Dec. 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM

We are in our second home, and have been here 3 years this month. Im a Realtor, and prior to finding this place, we had our home on the market and had been looking for a really long time. We actually had hired an agent to sell our place and it didnt sell, so we took it off the market and decided to stay put for a few more years. shortly after I decided to get my RE license. Once I had it, we decided to try again since now we wouldnt have to pay the fees for a Realtor :-) Our house sold, and we still hadnt found anything. I had gone out on a listing appt one day and the lady I was talking to told me that her friend was also interested in selling. So I contacted her and set up a time for the following day to come and out giver her a CMA. On my way over, as I drove through the neighborhood I was thinking "oh this is the kind of place I want to live in". The area is beautiful, its not a development but an actual neighborhood, theres a park, sidewalks, full grown trees...etc. Once I got to the house i was like "oh I so wish we could afford this". I went in, and 10 minutes into our conversation mentioned that we were looking to buy a place. So she told me to make her an offer. I explained to her what I thought she could sell the house for (239k) and that that was out of our price range. She then told me that it would be worth it to her to not have to put it on the market and deal with showings and all that jazz. So I gave her an offer of 195k. Now, keep in mind that my husband hasnt seen the place, and all Ive done is a quick walk through. I asked her if I could bring my DH over later to see it and she said yes, and that she would give me an answer in regards to the offer. So I left, called DH, told him I how may have made an offer on a house without him :-)  Thankfully, he trusted me enough to know that the house would be great for me to do such a thing.  An hour later the owner called me and told me she accepted, so I said ok, still need to get my husband over there but consider it sold. lol.  Thankfully, DH loved the place, and despite a drawn out closing of our 1st home, we were able to close in 2 months, and will probably be here for the next 30 years.  Our home is a 4bedroom, 2.5bth colonial, with approx 2500 finished square feet (we have 1000 unfinished sq ft in the basement that we will one day finish).

Devyn
by Member on Dec. 6, 2010 at 11:52 AM

pics

Before

After

Kitchen - Before and After (all that junk in the before pic is not mine)

Family Room Before and After

Rowdys.Mommy
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM
We decided we were ready to buy so that we could start our family. After searching for months we finally looked at this one house that immediately looked like home :-) it is a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1800 sq ft house and we are quickly outgrowing it. We have been there for 2 years and when the market turns we will probably sell ours and buy a bigger home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM

we built ours..I found the plans on the internet and fell in love...coolhouseplans.com...check them out, you will be looking at plans forever...I tweaked the floor plans, no cathedral ceiling in my kitchen..etc. but it is almost finished and I am not moving..unless hubs sells, then I am going with him..lol

dingysfamily
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

We built our house in 1985.  This is our 2nd marriage, and we had 4 kids between us; hubby was paying child support for his 3 and I had one I was getting child support for.  So, we didn't have much money to put into a house.  We went with a modular; the land we paid $1 for - the cost of transferring the title from his parents name to our, it was part of the family farm - just over 16 acres.  Since only my son would be living with us full-time we kept the house small enough to keep our payments within range in case we decided to have another child of our own & I quit work; & besides prices in our area aren't cheap (DC metro area).  We did have a child of our, I did quit to stay home.  We had a basement built & finished off as family room/extra bedroom for the kids when they came & for guests until they all were grown & on their own.  We now have a real guest room though.  

My hygrenia (I know I'm mispelled that) bushes are missing from the front of the house, but when this picture was taken we hadn't planted them yet; they nearly cover the front of the house now & are so beautiful when in bloom.

My computer desk is behind my hubby's recliner and our entertainment center is in front of his recliner.  Our fireplace is my favorite thing in the winter!! 

Godswk
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Loss my house to foreclosure. It's Okay God is working on something for me right now.

This is a cute title.

Godswk
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I love your house ( Emmy 217)   it is beautiful and carries history. I tried to picture it used as a hospital. Great story. Also your kitchen isn't too bad. I thought you had the old time wood panel with the black spots every where. Remember that? Gosh! my mom still has it in her house. It will be a total beauty one day. Take your time and give thought to it, that way you will have more creativity. Good luck on your new house.

sugarsmom2
by Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM

WE BUILT OUR HOME IN 1962. WE HAD THE GROUND WHEN WE GOT MARRIED .HE BOUGHT IT FROM HIS MOM AND DAD . WE HAVE 7 ACRES. WE LIVED IN THE BASEMENT FOR ONE YEAR AND THEN WE PUT THE UPSTARS ON THE HOUSE . HAVE LIVED HERE ALL THE TIME OF OUR MARRIAGE . 1957.  DID NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT HOME PLANS BUT IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER AGAIN . I WOULD HAVE A PANTRY AND A LARGE CLOSETS IN EVERY ROOM . A SEPRATE DINING ROOM .SO I GUESS YOU COULD SAY I WOULD MAKE IT BIGGER BY THIRY FEET . ALL OF IT THESE DESIGNGS .  AN ENTRANCE HALL AND NOT HAVE TO COME INTO THE HOUSE STRAIGHT FROM OUTSIDE. RIGHT INTO THE LIVING ROOM .  THE KIDS HAVE GONE NOW BUT HE WILL NOT OPEN THE WALL INTO THE KICTHEN TO MAKE IT BIGGER AND DO AWAY WITH ONE BEDROOM . HE SAYS RESELL VALUE OF THREE BEDROOMS ARE IN DEMAND . NOT TWO .  WANT A BIGGER KITCHEN .

TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Dec. 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Quoting Godswk:

Loss my house to foreclosure. It's Okay God is working on something for me right now.

This is a cute title.

I am so sorry....    =(

I know way too many people who have lost their houses..divorce, foreclosure..It just seems wrong that it is okay for someone to lose a home they have put all their hard work , time and money into. It mkaes me mad that in this day and age, we are struggling to keep our homes and families together.

but you're right.....God is absolutely working on something for you ...and when it happens, it will be even better. Good luck to you!!

Myspace Comments  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)