Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want you to tell us all what led you to choose the home you live in. How long have you been there? Is it your first home? Do you plan on living there for many years?

We built our house 14 years ago. We bought the lot off my FIL and quickly picked one to fit our budget....which at the time wasn't much. Since then we've added a garage, 2 decks, a pool, lots of landscaping and fencing,  and tore out and changed the layout of the upstairs...replaced, many, many things such as the bathrooms, lights, flooring, etc.

It's a cape cod with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths...not much square footage for 5, so I hope to sell when the market turns around and find something a little more suitable for all of us. I just wasn't thinking when we were building..I had a toddler and a newborn and needed something they could put up fast! I regret not really looking at other builders and I certainly regret the hunter green carpet I put on the whole first floor! YIKES! (That was changed after 3 years !)

Tell me how you found your house!

Myspace Comments  

by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 6:01 AM
Replies (81-86):
ToYnyc
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

i thought it was adorable and the little street it sits on is adorable, its my first home ever and i love it , it has 4 bedrooms and 2 full baths, laundry room and garage.

ToYnyc
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

i love your home

Quoting Emmy217:

My finace and I were house hunting for about 8 months. We saw tons of houses but nothing was for us. We put an offer on a house we thought we really wanted. We were outbid and we were really bummed out! Then there was this one house online. The outside was cute--but my first view of the kitchen (the picture online) and I said no way. Ugly wood cupboards, ugly wood paneling, ugly carpet...it was just ugly. We searched and searched some more and nothing came up. Mike kept bringing up the ugly house, saying "lets just go see it". I finally agrees. We came to see it. I walked in and suddenly all the potential was running through my head. I realized I LOVED the house, it was perfect for us, and we put in an offer that day. Sooooo glad we didn't end up getting the first house. When people say "it wasn't meant to be" they were more than right!! We closed on the house December 2, 2009 (one year ago!). We paid $40,000. We moved in that weekend and decided to do our remodeling projects one room at a time as money and time allows.

Our house was built in the late 1800's. It has 3 bedrooms upstairs and 2 bedrooms downstairs. One of the smaller rooms downstairs we converted into an office/laundry room. The other room downstairs is off the living room (seperated by french doors) that's Margaret's playroom. It's a work in progress. It probably always will be. But we looked passed the cosmetic issues. It got a new roof, vinyl siding, new windows, new furnace and new hot water heater all within the past 8 years.

One neat little bit of info about our house. It was built before the local hospital. Way back in the day--when it was built, since there was no hospital this is the house that was used for people to have their babies. Lots of cool history going on around here :)

Here's margaret's playroom. We just pulled up the carpet but didn't refinish those floors yet.

This is the LOVELY kitchen filled with carpet and 1970's wood tones. I've learned to live with it for now--but still looking forward to a remodel. Ahhhh the potential! :)

afwife817
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Sold our 1st home in 3 day's to the first couple to come look at it!! We needed to move fast and found a new construction that had 6 weeks from being finished. I was able to still pick out the stucco, granite, tile, carpet, hardware and paint. I can't complain. Our house is wonderful! LOVE it..
SipCrochetSip
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:14 AM

My hubs had given me 2 homes to chose from.  I picked the one closer to my family and his parents.  I have been here for 3 years.  He has owned the home since construction (so it is about 10 yrs. old total but only lived in by renters).  This is our first home together.  We plan on paying it off to make it a rental and then moving.  We have about 5 yrs. left on our mortgage.  It's ok.  I should be happier because it's a decent home.  I just don't like being in the HOA and the rooms feel so cramped even though it has 4 bedrooms.  We are a family of 7.... mine and ours. (Picture from Google.. we have since taken down the two trees in the front yard due to disease.)

TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:26 PM

What a great house!

Quoting ToYnyc:

i thought it was adorable and the little street it sits on is adorable, its my first home ever and i love it , it has 4 bedrooms and 2 full baths, laundry room and garage.

TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice house! Were they pear trees? I had those and they never last no matter how many you plant, I swear!

Quoting SipCrochetSip:

My hubs had given me 2 homes to chose from.  I picked the one closer to my family and his parents.  I have been here for 3 years.  He has owned the home since construction (so it is about 10 yrs. old total but only lived in by renters).  This is our first home together.  We plan on paying it off to make it a rental and then moving.  We have about 5 yrs. left on our mortgage.  It's ok.  I should be happier because it's a decent home.  I just don't like being in the HOA and the rooms feel so cramped even though it has 4 bedrooms.  We are a family of 7.... mine and ours. (Picture from Google.. we have since taken down the two trees in the front yard due to disease.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)