Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Painting kitchen cabinets?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM
  • 51 Replies
  • 8132 Total Views

have any of you painted your kitchen cabinets and cupboards?

i REALLY want to paint our kitchen (walls). the top part (not half. there is a wood "line" about 5ft from the floor) is nasty, old lady wallpaper, and the bottom is some kind of wallpaperish stuff, but is like really thick.  my husband said no painting because everytime we paint anything in this stupid house, it looks like crap. the paint never covers what is underneath, the designs always show through, if the underlaying stuff was shiny, you can still see the shine,etc. so, i have to live with my kitchen, looking like poo. 

we are going to remodel, eventually, so we will have new walls, and it will cost major money. we always try to remodel and it costs us 3x more than we thought. so, we thought, we would save money on cabinets and cupboards by buying the cheaper ones at lowes or home depot, that are finished. we were thinking of painting them, instead of staining them, because everytime we stain something, it looks like junk.

sorry for the long story, in the end, i was wondering if you have any pics of your painted cabinets? and any tips? and maybe what colors are most popular for doing so. thanks!

by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Feb. 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I've been wanting to paint my cabinets white and have been putting it off because I'm lazy and afriad I won't like it. I finally came to the realization that ANYTHING will look better than this ugly orange oak. I'm going to do a coffee or caramel color on the walls.

I think your kitchen should reflect what you like, not what everyone else is doing. What colors do you like or wood tones? Just go from there. And Google is your friend! .Google images for "white kitchens" or "painted kitchen cabinets"...whatever you are looking for...

but I would like to see some of your kitchen's myself on here! Anyone?

berlgirl1224
by Member on Feb. 4, 2011 at 9:31 PM

the cabinets and cupboards we have now are painted white. and they are like 60yrs old. they are so old and boring. i was thinking about going the mocha way, but wasnt sure how that would look. didnt want a big tootsie roll,lol

lexmama5
by Member on Feb. 5, 2011 at 7:25 AM

We are in the middle of this right now.  We have added crown to the top, beadboard to the exposed sides and we have primed.  I was going to paint them red, but with my dark counters and our soon to be black table, i decided that it looked to much michael jackson's Thriller jacket so I chickened out.  We are now going to paint the upper cabinets in white and then age them with an espresso glaze and some sanding.  The lower cabinets will be black and slightly sanded for an aged look. inspired by thishttp://www.lookiloos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/images/6a00d83479fc3f69e201116859bddb970c-pi.jpg     and by this kitchen too....http://www.decorpad.com/photos/2010/11/14/361cecce183b.jpg

designer13
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
No matter what you are painting, the prep work is crucial. One of my favorite vendors is Sherwin-Williams for paint. If you don't have a Sherwin-Williams store near you, check out their website for "how to's". If you are painting over stained or painted cabinets, there is a certain amount of sanding that needs to be done, then use "bondo" a product that will fill in any holes from knobs or handles. Next prime the cabinets, in fact, always user a primer on anything you paint, golden rule!

A very popular look and always timeless are white cabinets, if your kitchen is small this is a good choice. Glazing over the cabinets is popular too!

Good luck!
meme4x
by Member on Feb. 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM

meme4...
  • February 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM
  • Posted to Home Decor by
  • meme4x
  • Everyone can see this photo.
  • Views (4)

More from this album

Comments:

meme4x

We painted theses cabinets, they were wood stained, with shiny gold hardware, we painted those also about 5 years ago. They have held up great. forgive the newest renovations in this pic we are putting in a new island with a jennair cooktop. My plan if I ever get the energy & mindset to do next is to do like a cafe awning at the window that you see here in the pic.  When we painted the cabinets we first numbered all the cabinet doors to correspond with the frame we removed it from, we took down all doors & removed all hardware, we sanded down to the grain of the wood (the hardest part), then primed, caulked (around the center panel of the doors) & painted. I could not afford new hardware, so I took them all outside & lined them up neatly (assembly line style...lol) sprayed them with greased lightening to remove any grease as well as any glossy surface, sprayed them off with a waterhose after fifteen minutes & let them dry overnight. Next day spared them with primer, let dry & sprayed them with textured black paint to give the wrought iron look. % years later they are still holding up. I say go for it, but just know it will take about a week (depending how many cabinets you have) I had 35 cabinets & 5 drawers. And I still love my cabinets

meme4x Feb. 5, 2011 at 11:54 PM (Delete)

Beth100
by Member on Feb. 6, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I had really dark cupboards in one of my homes.......so I painted the cupboard doors.  It was a MAJOR undertaking, I thought.........wouldn't want to do it again!  If you are going to give your house a makeover, I suggest you wait and do some new cupboards.  If you can't wait and don't want to spend the $ for new cupboards........How about A Large panel of light colored contact paper in the middle of each cupboard door?  Might be enough to lighten your kitchen up a bit.   

RobinMarie
by Member on Feb. 7, 2011 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I paitned my oak cabinets white.... It wasn't too difficult and I think the results are good. 

berlgirl1224
by Member on Feb. 8, 2011 at 10:28 PM

see, we have white cabinets now and they are kinda boring. maybe it's because the rest of the kitchen sucks,lol

moliphant28
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM

WHen we bought our house the cabinets were painted a flat white and I hated them!  So I decided to paint them.  Its not fun and I will never do it ever again!

carebear1120
by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM

I also have white cabinets in my kitchen & they are cheap pressed wood.. YUCK!  the last owners loved them.. I cant wait to save up my money to redo it hope fully by next year.. I was told to wash it down w/ TSP to get all the sticky greasey build up that tends to be on cabinets from cooking & than prime than paint.. I have som eleft over mauroon red from my bathroom I want to use.. thats my project the next couple of months.. LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN