Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Couch cover replacement

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 331 Total Views
So we just bought these old fashioned couches with wooden arms and I have to make new cushion covers. Is it okay to use reg cotten fabric or do I HAVE to use a heavier fabric?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bnnsweet
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:50 AM

I dont see why not. The only difference is one is going to wear out faster than the other. But also with the cheaper one, u will be able to change more often than versus the heavier fabric. So its ur choice hun.

momkelly2
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM

you can use whatever you like .. there are no rules any more...   the only thing to keep in mind is if the color or pattern of the old sofa may shadow through the  new light fabric.   one way is to buy a couple of yards of the potential fabric..    and place it over the  sofa  and stand back for a day or two and see what shows or not.  

you can always use flat linning..  meaning that you cut cheap muslin the same pattern or shape as every peace of your cover fabric..   put the two pieces together so the linning becomes the wrong side, and sew as once piece..     it will help  the  cover wear better  and not show through..

and could still be cheaper.

georgiamommy02
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM
Thanks guys that really helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Feb. 21, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I had slip covers made years ago and wish I would have used heavier fabric...

georgiamommy02
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Im kinda thinkin of doublin the fabric using the muslin. I just cant afford to pay for the heavier fabric its $7-8 a yard where as the lighter fabric is a little cheaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
decor42
by Head Admin on Feb. 21, 2011 at 7:07 PM

That saying "You get what you pay for" is so true.

Personally I would invest in a higher quality fabric, maybe a canvas. A bit cheaper than most upholstery grade fabrics.

Are you planning on making individual seat cushions or is the style one large seat cushion?

If it is a single seat cushion you could go with a cheaper fabric as it wouldn't be as time consuming to make and you could afford to change them out without a huge investment time or money wise.

Be certain that your original fabric color or pattern arent visible through your new fabric. If they are you could add a cheap fabric under it but if that is the case you are adding more money to the project in turn wondering why you didnt go with a better quality fabric to begin with.

georgiamommy02
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 7:15 PM
They are indiv cushions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)