Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moving to the beach..need ideas..

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 327 Total Views

Ladies we are moving to the beach this weekend..and I need some decorating ideas..I know there are lot's of flea markets and thrift stores. ( YEAH!)

I don't want to just look like every other beach house.I want to have cool unique ideas. i do blog lurk a lot and have found some great idea..but what kinda color schemes do you like? Also I have  two bedrooms to decorate for boys and one for a girl..Plus ours..but my hubby doesn't care..he just doesn't want to live in a "flower garden " LOL

Also I DO lOVE white.and light grey..and light blue..and pale yellow

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Alakazam
by Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I'd love to live near the beach!

Here's my son's room. I painted the walls and then added wall stickers from wallstickeroutlet.com. It was really easy actually - paint the upper half one shade of blue and then when dry, lightly swipe the paint brush with a blue that is one shade darker to give it some depth. The lower half is actually leftover paint from our hall bath which worked perfectly for the sand color. The room is a decent size so I ordered 4 packs of "ocean life" wall stickers at $25 each. 

Here are some photos of his old room before moving into his "big boy" room above. He had to share with his baby sister so I tried to create somewhat of a neutral/nautical nursery.

Port holes (below) are also an idea and fun for kids. You buy inexpensive burner rings (the kind that go on your stove), hold the ring on the wall and trace inside circle with pencil (on the wall), paint the circle blue, when dry add fish stickers, cut off any part of the fish that might go outside of the circle with a razor knife, screw the burner rings to the wall. If you want to make a wave border, you can download the wave stencil from Pottery Barn Kids, print out and trace onto posterboard or some other sturdy paper.

soccerjunki
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:13 PM

these are so cute!! You must have put a great deal of work into those rooms! Thanks for the inspiration!

StampingMomma
by Member on Mar. 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I don't care for overly-themed rooms, so when I think of beach themes that appeal to me, I think of the neutrals (sands, blues, etc.), rather than Nantucket/Yachting Blues (maybe save that for the boys room?) or tropical greens. 

I also love it when there is a pop of the coral red!  Like this:

It just brings some life into a room. 

And I think you have to have to have some natural elements along the lines of Barefoot Homes ... whether it is stone, shells, woven rope/baskets, whatever.

The lettered cottage could give you some great ideas if you've never checked them out before:

http://theletteredcottage.net/

Good luck and have fun.

Noel

StampingMomma
by Member on Mar. 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Love the port holes!  What a fun room.  But I bet he is thrilled with his big boy room.

soccerjunki
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I like the neutrals too..and I adore the Lettered cottage..I have stalked their blog since I found them! 

Quoting StampingMomma:

I don't care for overly-themed rooms, so when I think of beach themes that appeal to me, I think of the neutrals (sands, blues, etc.), rather than Nantucket/Yachting Blues (maybe save that for the boys room?) or tropical greens. 

I also love it when there is a pop of the coral red!  Like this:

It just brings some life into a room. 

And I think you have to have to have some natural elements along the lines of Barefoot Homes ... whether it is stone, shells, woven rope/baskets, whatever.

The lettered cottage could give you some great ideas if you've never checked them out before:

http://theletteredcottage.net/

Good luck and have fun.

Noel

TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Apr. 1, 2011 at 9:41 AM

The only bit of advice I have is TAKE ME! TAKE ME!!!! lol

If you follow blogs then you have the best eye candy available! Cant wait to see it all! Congratulations!

redhotmomma64
by Member on Apr. 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM

first of all, i am soooooo jealous, hubby and i would kill to move to the ocean. dont go over board on theme type rooms- you will get sick of all the touristy shops and beach themes everywhere. like the others said stay neutral with sand colors light blues, whites  maybe  bead board. you can use the shell look through pictures a shower curtain or tabletop displays which i have by the way. we are beach fanatics good luck with your move and enjoy your great new life......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)