Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(Almost) 4 Year Old Boy's Bedroom

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 1122 Total Views

Good Evening,

I've been thinking of doing my son's room, for as far back as I can remember!  He will be 4 in October.  I thought that since the warmer weather means garage sales and flea markets that this would be the perfect time!  His room has never really had a particular theme.  Although he does have a cars table and chairs and few stickers, he also has a huge picture of looney toons on one wall and one of baby mickey on the other.  I was just going to let him pretty much pick out what he wanted, but now I'm thinking that will lead to total chaos.  He's into a little bit of everything, so I'm really not sure how to do his room.  Another thing, and I know he's still young BUT I would like to have the main things that could stay in there pretty much forever, so every few years I don't have to completely redo things.  Does anyone have any tips, tricks, ideas??  What have you done, or post pics!  Please and Thank You :)

by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
holldoll_86
by Member on Apr. 11, 2011 at 10:48 PM

maybe instead of picking a specific theme, you could do a color combo. mix patterns and shapes.  that way you dont have to commit since he like a little of evrything, and you dont hav to redo it every few years. i just did my daughter's room. i ipainted it aqua and she has pink accents, with only a slight birds/butterflies theme. so in a few yrs if she wants something different, i've only spent money on paper butterfly decor, stuff animal brids, and a pink rug. she can easily plug anyl theme in there or go with another color combo, aqua and zebra, aqua and brown, yellow, red, etc. 

go i would do one color on the walls, and other colors as an accent in the decor. if you do end up with a theme, dont spend too much on the themed stuff. maybe some knick knack type things, poster, etc. things that wont hurt so bad to get rid of when he wants another theme.

i was trying to post some pix but my computer is being dumb. hope this helps :)

janeq123
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2011 at 2:40 PM
Maybe you could just stick to certain colors with toys that are the same colors. Like red and yellow and blue or blue and yellow and white
Jamie-Leigh
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM

We used wall stickers on both our daughters rooms. They are great not to expensive and you can change the complete look of the room in no time. We have an aquarium theme in one room, and a garden them in the other. We are getting ready to turn the aquarium room into a fairy room. Our children are two years old and 4 months old.  Though we will be changing the wall colors this time.

SamMom912
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM

My 4 year old DS LOVED star wars... but, I was afraid he would get sick of it fast.. since he too loves, SW, Toy Story, Transformers, Super Why, Batman... and the list goes on.

I painted the room dark blue. Got glow in the dark star stickers and planets and got a stencil. Wrote on the walls "May the force be with you"- "Yoda, you seek Yoda", "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." and I bought a 3 posters SW posters from Allposters.com.  These were minor investments (20 each?) We also had a few masks (Vader, Storm Trooper-- and when we bought a pair of shoes at Stride rite- they gave him a Cpt Clone Rex mask... all mounted on the wall..the only major purchase I made was the SW sheets and blanket from Pottery Barn.

I figure when he hates star wars, I paint over the stencil, take down the posters and change the sheets and we have a "astronaut outer space room"...

kbloomhall
by Member on Jun. 11, 2011 at 1:57 AM
I would stick with a main color theme. If he likes Disney Cars then blue and red would be good for that. Or Thomas the train would work with blue and red too. Get a comforter that is not a certain theme, just a plain color or colors. Then with the rest of the room (pictures, lamp, clock) you can get to whatever theme you would like, then those would be the only things that would really need changing out. My son is into Cars and Thomas mainly. So I have blue and red on the walls. Right now he has a Lightening McQueen comforter, only because it was a gift. He also has an alarm clock, lamp, and little knick-nacks that are specifically Cars. I figured with the new movie coming out this summer he will get back into that for a while.
momof6nokc
by on Jun. 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I did a color scheme of red and blue with khaki colored walls for DS9's room. 

I can change out the them of the room (currently western themed) when he is tired of the theme he has.  I won't need to change anything else except the mural on the wall and the lampshade, a few decorations, etc.

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues"  ~Elizabeth Taylor~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN