Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paint over wallpaper??

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 311 Total Views
We have some seriously ugly 1980s wallpaper that has to go. Problem- it would take forever to peel it and be quite a mess. Anyone hVe tips to paint overly successfully?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dpurdin
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM

NOOOOO!!!!!!  Dont paint over it -when I bought my hundred year old house they had done some restoration on it - they had completely stripped all the original woodwork & put a beautiful lite honey oak stain on it - but then they put wallpaper in every room downstairs - it really wasnt that bad to strip the wall paper all u need is a little elbow grease & some warm water, a sponge & every once in a while a spatula to scrape the tuff spots.  I do not recomend painting over top of it - as the paper gets older it will start to peel & then u will have cracks in your paint.  Take the time & strip the paper

Pink.Daisies.23
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Ack! I was afraid someone would say that :( I guess I need to start peeling.

Another question: they (the people here before us) painted over it in my bathroom. Can you peel paper that's already been painted over?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2xp
by Member on May. 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM

we bought this house a year ago and they had painted over the wall paper within the last 5 years and it's got bumps and cracks in it. Definately take it off! I took some off in the salon I owned and I used warm vinegar and a scraper, there was 6 layers of wall paper from at least 30 years ago probably longer and it was not hard at all. I used a sprayer and let it sit a few minutes and most of it just peeled off easily. I'm not sure about taking the wall paper off that's been painted over before, I need to do that in our kitchen and dining room though!

mom2four1978
by Member on May. 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I just painted over wallpaper a month ago. I used a flat, darker color paint and a foam roller. I also used hole filler on the seams and sanded. I just googled "paint over wallpaper" and found the instructions.

caham
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2011 at 11:21 PM

The best advice is NOT to paint over the paper, however, it can be done. If you want it to last, meaning wanting it to be more than a temporary fix, you need to make sure that all of the paper is still securely attached to the wall, if not, you will have nothing but problems.

Christine - Group Owner of Home Decor and so Much More!

dpurdin
by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM

peeling painted over wallpaper is actually just as easy depending on how many layers of each there is - My laundry room was painted several times about 5 different colors on top of about 6 layers of paper - it was very easy after u got a start - I actually took off the trip and realized how many layers - I just found a piece of peeling paper that was under the trim and started pulling - it practically just fell off the wall - I really wished I could have saved a couple sizable pieces of the vintage paper but it was beyond saving - on some of the old paper all I could do was shake my head &sat OMG what were they thinking - LOL

Devyn
by Member on May. 31, 2011 at 7:31 PM

dont paint over it!!! its not worth it!!

if you absolutely positively insist that you must then you need first make sure that ALL of the paper is firmly on the wall and not bubbling up even a little. Then you apply joint compound on the seams of the paper, sand, and then prime and paint.

Really though just take the time and tear it off or pay a professional to do it. After removing the 1979 wallpaper in my dining rom and master bath, Ive decided to just hire someone to do our master bath :-) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)