Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my husband and I have been working on remodeling our kitchen and we're doing it ourselves. Yes, I know, we're crazy. But we've made some pretty good progress so far. We tore down the old wall cabinets and are in the process of putting up new 42" cabinets that we stained ourselves. We got rid of all the old doors on the base cabinets and are having some new ones made that should be ready this Friday. We sanded and restained the base cabinets and had some granite countertops installed.

Although we've gotten a lot done, there still seems to be a large amount left to do!

-Stain and install the new base cabinet doors

-Install a new backsplash

-Install a new floor

-Finish painting the walls

-Finish painting the paneling

-Install two new fans and a light fixture

I'm tired just typing it!!!

Here is our BEFORE picture:

This is the not quite AFTER:

I'll be glad when it's all over!!!

Check out the blog for more projects and more before and after pics at:

http://www.justkamniyo.blogspot.com/

JUST KAMIYO typing

It's just me being me.

http://www.justkamiyo.blogspot.com/

by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 3:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
LoveTheNewMe
by Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Lol thank you very much! When I told my friend we were doing this, she asked if I had the divorce papers ready!!! So far, we've been doing well, compromising on decisions and powering through! I would love to be finished in the next couple weeks!!!

That is AWESOME that you guys are almost done! I can't wait to get there!!! Do you have pictures posted somewhere?? I'll be sure to upload mine whenever we (finally) finish!

Quoting simple_ole_me:

You're brave! We're also remodeling our kitchen, but we have a builder. I couldn't imagine doing it on our own. It's been stressful enough as it is. We only have little things left -- like some trim boards, crown molding, and few drawer fronts. Thought I'd NEVER see the day! Your kitchen will be beautiful when it's done. Can't wait to see more pictures!

JUST KAMIYO typing

It's just me being me.

LoveTheNewMe
by Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 4:58 PM

WOW! Awesome: happy to know that I'm not the only one with a construction zone in their kitchen lol!!!

Please post updates!!! I love this remodeling stuff!!

Quoting crazymomof4787:

Here is what the kitchen looks like today. 

JUST KAMIYO typing

It's just me being me.

grannywilson
by Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 7:56 PM

It looks like you had a good basic design to start with. We have done our kitchen twice in a year.(ugh) Last summer we spent thousands having new countertops and all the rest put in our kitchen. In september we had a fire in our home and most of our home had to be completely redone.  It took nine months of being out of our home to get it back in shape. We are back now.  It looks nice.  I am now second guessing myself and all my choices. I have to stop that.   It is all fresh and nice.  We would have never done the whole house at one time.  You guys did a great job.  Enjoy!

LoveTheNewMe
by Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you guys are back to normal and of course that no one got hurt!!!

Don't second guess your choices, I'm sure it looks great and it's awesome to have basically a brand new house!

Thank you! Yes, we had a pretty good frame to start with, which is true for the rest of the house as well. (We are slowly redoing our entire house because it had not been updated since the 70s!)

Quoting grannywilson:

It looks like you had a good basic design to start with. We have done our kitchen twice in a year.(ugh) Last summer we spent thousands having new countertops and all the rest put in our kitchen. In september we had a fire in our home and most of our home had to be completely redone.  It took nine months of being out of our home to get it back in shape. We are back now.  It looks nice.  I am now second guessing myself and all my choices. I have to stop that.   It is all fresh and nice.  We would have never done the whole house at one time.  You guys did a great job.  Enjoy!

JUST KAMIYO typing

It's just me being me.

crazymomof4787
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM

They are finishing the painting in my house today.   Next week we will get the floors going.  Will post pics over the weekend of the finished paint. 

simple_ole_me
by Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Ha. Divorce papers are not a far fetched thought! We were told the same thing, but I figured "no way -- my marriage is strong." Ha. I'm telling you right now -- after having a premature baby in the hospital for a month, starting a whole house remodel a month after she came home, moving in with my parents as we tore everything apart, and dealing with stress of three deaths in the family  ..... I'm telling you, I think my marriage can withstand anything now. It's been pure chaos for nearly a year, but guess what?! We're in our house again and we are nearly finished with everything. We're still married too! Somehow we make it through things and don't know how. It's definitely been one of those years. Keep plugging through your project and stick together. Pick your battles wisely. We failed on that advice many times over. Things do get better though :)

Anyhow, here's a picture of our new kitchen. Can't wait to see yours!

Quoting LoveTheNewMe:

Lol thank you very much! When I told my friend we were doing this, she asked if I had the divorce papers ready!!! So far, we've been doing well, compromising on decisions and powering through! I would love to be finished in the next couple weeks!!!

That is AWESOME that you guys are almost done! I can't wait to get there!!! Do you have pictures posted somewhere?? I'll be sure to upload mine whenever we (finally) finish!

Quoting simple_ole_me:

You're brave! We're also remodeling our kitchen, but we have a builder. I couldn't imagine doing it on our own. It's been stressful enough as it is. We only have little things left -- like some trim boards, crown molding, and few drawer fronts. Thought I'd NEVER see the day! Your kitchen will be beautiful when it's done. Can't wait to see more pictures!

LoveTheNewMe
by Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Awesome, is the floor down now??

Quoting crazymomof4787:

They are finishing the painting in my house today.   Next week we will get the floors going.  Will post pics over the weekend of the finished paint. 

JUST KAMIYO typing

It's just me being me.

LoveTheNewMe
by Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Wow! I think you guys make it through because of God's grace and after going through all that, I believe you: your marriage can withstand anything!

You kitchen is gorgeous!! Very modern! And I love that island, I've never seen one like that before! I'm glad you guys are about done, must be nice lol! We still have one last bedroom to do and when we're done with the kitchen, we're gonna spruce up the master bath ooooooooooh lol!

The kitchen is coming along pretty well so far: no arguments! I've been installing the new cabinet doors this week. When I'm done with that, I will stain them all, then on to the back splash!!! Yaaaay! After that, we'll just have the floor and we are D O N E!

Here's what I've been working on as far as the new cabinet doors

Quoting simple_ole_me:

Ha. Divorce papers are not a far fetched thought! We were told the same thing, but I figured "no way -- my marriage is strong." Ha. I'm telling you right now -- after having a premature baby in the hospital for a month, starting a whole house remodel a month after she came home, moving in with my parents as we tore everything apart, and dealing with stress of three deaths in the family  ..... I'm telling you, I think my marriage can withstand anything now. It's been pure chaos for nearly a year, but guess what?! We're in our house again and we are nearly finished with everything. We're still married too! Somehow we make it through things and don't know how. It's definitely been one of those years. Keep plugging through your project and stick together. Pick your battles wisely. We failed on that advice many times over. Things do get better though :)

Anyhow, here's a picture of our new kitchen. Can't wait to see yours!

Quoting LoveTheNewMe:

Quoting simple_ole_me:

JUST KAMIYO typing

It's just me being me.

crazymomof4787
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Not done yet.  Will take pics once it is finished. 

Quoting LoveTheNewMe:

Quoting crazymomof4787:

Family Vacations & Getaways

LoveTheNewMe
by Member on Oct. 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Okay great! How exciting!!! Is it weird that I'm excited to see your kitchen?? Lol!

Quoting crazymomof4787:

Not done yet.  Will take pics once it is finished. 

Quoting LoveTheNewMe:

Quoting crazymomof4787:

JUST KAMIYO typing

It's just me being me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)