Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exciting weekend ahead!! update with progress pics!

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM
  • 20 Replies
  • 850 Total Views

Our town has a massive festival every year. Most of our friends go and look forward to it every year. I find half a million new people pouring into town a claustrophobic and annoying experience. We are hell bent on avoiding it. We are finishing out basement master bedroom instead. (walkout basement) We went to lowes today and picked out flooring, primer, paint, wall board for the closet, closet shelves and all that. Tomorrow morning dh will pick it all up and I will go grocery shopping for the week. Then home to put ds down for a nap and make lunch while dh unloads it all and off we go.

I am going to put the finish touches on the drywall mud and sand a little after it dries, prime and paint the walls while dh watches ds. Then dh will do up the closet and put in the flooring. We should be done with all that by Monday. Then next weekend we will be cleaning it all and moving our stuff in. Then we will move our second and third dd into our old room and our oldest dd will have her own room. We will also paint and set up ds room. He is 6 months and currently doesn't have a bedroom so this will be nice! So exciting! I've been waiting for 2 freaking years to get this room finished up!

The floor with be amber oak laminate and the walls will be 'pine needle' green. It's not that dark and looks kind of vintage. I wanted a muted grey blue but dh wanted green. Since our old bedroom is blue he gets green. It's pretty and makes the flooring pop so it will be good. I'll get some nice creamy curtains and a cream bedspread.

Update! 

so here is how it looked when we started this weekend, well actually after me mudding and sanding and dh coming in and sweeping all the dust up =)

and here is a pic of after I primed the whole room and painted the ceiling and walls.  what a shock! oh and there is dh's first 2 planks of flooring he put in before he remembered the underlayment.

we have a door!   well 2 doors really, this is the door to the big bathroom and walk in closet. 

see the dangling light?  I loved it when I saw it and loved it when dh put it in, UNTIL I saw that he installed it crooked and it cannot be straighted.  it is about a quarter inch askew and will bother me for all eternity! =)

and there is me testing out a curtain.  I took it back to the store.  It was so lovely but when the sun shone throught it it looked like it had ugly brown horizontal stripes.  Nope.    I am putting in some very lovely ivory satin look curtains that have a hint of shimmer.  And a lacy ivory sheer in the center.  I am now in the process of picking stain for the trim.  I bought gunstock by minwax but it is too red I think.  I am going to have to return it for a less red shade of something.  We are moving in this weekend as well as moving 4 kids stuff to different rooms.  Pray for my sanity! 

Everyone who supported slavery was free.  Everyone who supports abortion was born.  That, my friends, is how oppression works.  -Anonymous

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM
We are back from shopping and picked up everything but the wallboard for the closet and shelves. We are at 530 bucks now so after the closet stuff we will be right at budget. I'm putting ds down for a nap as then we will get started in the room. After years of having a room so tiny you have to squeeze around the bed, this will be wonderful!! The room is 13x23 and the closet is 7x9. There also a huge attached bathroom but that won't be done until next year. I'm going to be posting pics of the progress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Got the muding finished and feeding ds while it dries. Then I will sand, sweep and sponge the dust up. After ds goes to bed tonight I will prime. Looks like tomorrow morning I will be painting the color and then it's up to dh to install the flooring. Our 3 older kids are off at grandmas until Monday so this is perfect!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Update, all sanded! Dh is sweeping and I will go over the walls with a sponge in a few.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnlizard
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Sounds beautiful....I love the color green...

Will we get to see pictures when you are done?

norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Yes!! I will post some pics tonight or in the morning and some when done too.

Quoting tnlizard:

Sounds beautiful....I love the color green...

Will we get to see pictures when you are done?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2NandJ
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Sounds like a big project so I'm sure y'all will be happy when it's done. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM
It is a big project. I'm exhausted but my part is done!! I got all the muding and sandin done yesterday as well as the priming. I was up until about midnight but it was worth it. Today I painted. The ceiling is valspar Eddie Bauer 'craft white' and the walls are Eddie bauer 'pine needle'. I was worried that the green would be too dark especially since the room faces north and there is only one window. I had a lighter shade of green picked out but dh said it wasn't as nice and if the pine needle is too dark we will just paint again in a year or two. It is pretty dark and I think the other color would have worked better but it's done now and it does look very nice.

Dh is getting ready to do the floor. We should be mostly done with that today. I'll post pics later today to show the progress so far.

Quoting Mom2NandJ:

Sounds like a big project so I'm sure y'all will be happy when it's done. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3.ang3ls
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Well it sounds really exciting. I can't wait to see pics. I am sure it is beautiful. Get some bright lamps for now, if it seems too dark :). Congrats.
Vicky2104
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Wow. Sounds like you have a very busy weekend. But I am positive it will all come out beautifully.
norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM
It turned out pretty dark. It's a big room so it looks ok, just darker than planned. Of course there is no light in there right now, dh has to install the ceiling light.
Dh is wiring it in now and we will have at least 2 other lamps in there. I will also hang mirrors around to reflect light. Cream curtains and a cream bedspread should help as well.

Quoting 3.ang3ls:

Well it sounds really exciting. I can't wait to see pics. I am sure it is beautiful. Get some bright lamps for now, if it seems too dark :). Congrats.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)