Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my boys dont like their room ..

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 561 Total Views

ok i have a ten yr old and a five yr old,  they are both boys. i have tryed everything i can think of to make them sleep in thire room. they sleep now in the living room  even though they have new beds. how dcan i make them want to sleep in their own bed ?  my ten yr old is scared of the darkl. i have put the starts that glow in the dark on the wll a night  lilght nothing helps.  im on a low budget, i want them to feel like this is my room and i love it . please help.

toddler boy          teen boy

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Set and Keep a bedtime, read them a story, set a calm mood..no yelling,etc. Reassure them that you are right in the next room. Under no circumstances do you give in and let them sleep in the living room. It is not a bedroom...it will be very challenging, but you need to be firm..If you keep giving in, it will become a terrible habit to break and they will find other things to control also. It will be hard, but you are the adult.

I_Am_Woman
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

If all your efforts have failed, then don't worry where they choose to sleep. I would rather know that they feel safe where they lay their heads down than feel fear and not sleep well.

lexysmommi
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Is his reason for not wanting to sleep in there because its dark? If so, get a lamp at a thrift store or leave a closet light on or heck even leave the big light on. My lexy sleeps with her closet light and night light on..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Have you asked them what they don't like about it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dylansmommy1017
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I am right there with you... both my kids sleep in the living room.. one on the recliner and one on the couch with the dog. mine are almost 6 and 3.5. I say choose your battles... yes it is a pain because me and hubby can't watch the big tv in the living room, BUT like another mom said it is where they feel safe and are comfortable. IF I force them to their beds, we are ALL up through the night, not worth it since I have to work too. I would rather them sleep comfortable and all night long.

With that said, my 5 yr old boy says he is scared and my girl just sleeps wherever he does. I have 2 night lights and a lamp I put a towel over in their room (they sleep in the same room... and still no. On the couch the hall bathroom light stays on. I have tried everything too. Peaceful good nights, it will be ok , etc. I have switched out their beds 3x literally from 2 separate to stacked bunks to now a bed with a trundle to be next to each other. I have bought countless different sheets (cotton, flannel, even an imitation silk), have had quilts made for them with their favorite characters. I have finally given up. I will choose this battle later and would rather sleep peacefully right now too.

.PilesOfLaundry
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

maybe ask them why they don't like it and then maybe make half what the oldest likes and the other half what the youngest likes and put a divider in the middle? hope this helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)