Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas for Mom Cave?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 710 Total Views

We are going to be free-ing up one of our smaller bedrooms and dh suggested I make it a space for myself, BUT it will also have to double as a guest room (which really wouldn't be used as such very often, but still).

I'm so excited! I don't want to paint or anything but I do want to make it a cozy retreat for myself. A quiet girly space ... Here are some pics from last year when it was my son's bedroom (then it was my dd's tv room but now we are moving her to the finished basement, freeing up the room)...

That built in shelf/half wall where the tv sits is flanked by 2 small closets.

The walls are a very light green, but I think the color comes off as very neutral anyway?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaTAF
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Do you have any hobbies? Scrapbooking? It's a cute room!

If I had an extra room I'd make it my office cuz I currently don't have one and someplace I can lay out my pics and do my scrapbooking.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:22 AM
If you enjoy reading you could make it usable for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
underHISwing
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:36 AM

I was going to say something similar... you could put shelves up where the tv is, add a comfy chair, change bed linens to match, and have a cozy reading nook? 

blondepegasus
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Hanging a floor to ceiling pair of drapes will glam it up and make it more girly, even more so if they are a feminine color, pattern, and/or fabric (ie faux silk). I would go with a convertible sofa or sofa bed so there's a comfy space to sit when it doesn't have to serve as a guest room. If you're leaving the bed, I'd put it up to the wall and put pillows along the back to turn it into a day bed. Add an area rug to make it cozy. Fabric choices for bedding, rug, and drapes will create a lot of the feminine and warm feeling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Psalm91
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM

lve it. Lucky you. have a blast making it your own.

babynurse454
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM
I have a mom cave, it is my craft room, dh and my brother put in floor to ceiling shelves all around the room, except where the 2 big windows are, that is where my craft table is. .they took the closet door off and added shelves and cubbys, my brother made me a. " stamp holder" for my wall it holds about 125 stamps. I have paper holders, peg boards, carts, lots of drawers, baskets. I will take some pictures and post them. It is my room!! My personality. Love it. I also love my laundry room. :) I've made it my own design also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

wine cellar, nuf said.

flutterbybem
by New Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I would put a an ipod radio dock , pedi spa area, and a massage chair or comfy big chair with a throw blanket an plush rug... Mini fridge with ur fave drinks! It would be my "mental health room" where i could watch reality tv and read or take a nap!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ToYnyc
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

i would include extra seating for my friends. i love this idea i was considering moving into my own bedroom but my hubby didnt like the idea, now i know all i need is a mom cave!

starfire59
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Quoting blondepegasus:

Hanging a floor to ceiling pair of drapes will glam it up and make it more girly, even more so if they are a feminine color, pattern, and/or fabric (ie faux silk). I would go with a convertible sofa or sofa bed so there's a comfy space to sit when it doesn't have to serve as a guest room. If you're leaving the bed, I'd put it up to the wall and put pillows along the back to turn it into a day bed. Add an area rug to make it cozy. Fabric choices for bedding, rug, and drapes will create a lot of the feminine and warm feeling.

Great idea about the floor to ceiling drapes but here's a cost cutter for you ( I did this) Buy flat sheets you can get them at WalMart or most any store individually only buy the top sheets and run the drapery rod through the top hem of the sheet and then let them pool on the floor this make them look classy and gives it a rich feel Try using choclate brown ( I did) and then you can use any accent color to give the room a great feel. This will also go great with the walls you already have painted. Accent colors that go great with this would be red yellow green and creams your choice and it's limitless  Good luck and let's see some pics when you're done!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)