Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anybody else live in a tiny house? *update*

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM
  • 26 Replies
  • 1407 Total Views

I only have 960 sq feet.  I've come to discover that decorating a tiny house is completely different than a huge one so if I'm the only one here I will just leave.  I'm tired of being told "oh, just move it to a different room" when there are no more rooms to move it to.  No garage or basement either.  My living room has to double as our homeschool room because there is no other choice.  My chinchilla and my son's gecko have to stay in the living room because there are no other options.  It's just life in a small house and it's hard to find others who can understand that.

Anybody with me?  We are a family of 4 and have a bunch of pets.

See..

my son's room...

We built his bed in.  You can see the bottom of it in the top of the picture.  It's tall enough to walk under and you can actually stand on top of it because our ceiling is so high here.

My living room is a mess right now

That big desk on the left is going to my SIL.  I love it but I just don't have the space for it

Like I said, a mess.  I've been scrubbing the kitchen floor all day.  I just don't have a laundry room.  I don't have a playroom.  We only have 1 bathroom.  My daughter sleeps in the loft and we have to walk through her room to get to ours.  We don't have a garage or a basement.

My living room is the room that really bothers me but I will have to get the desk out and take pictures of it actually clean before I can even hope to ask for help with it.  I just want to know if it's worth my time :(

*update*

I've been working on my living room all day.  It's still not clean but it's rearranged!

Our school area is now in the recessed areas of the living room

the living room area is seperate from the entry way and school area.  It's still a mess though :(

the entry way is the worst mess.  The window is going to be replaced by a door (so we will actually have a front door!).  The only thing over here that is staying is the chinchilla cage.

et

another view of where the door will be and the stuff that needs to find a new home.

Is it any better?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Psalm91
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I raised my children 2 and foster children in a 1000 sq. ft house. it was tough at times but now with the kids grown and on their own it is good for hubby and me.  hang in there and do a lot of shelving for baskets and ids toys. It will help keep things off the floor. Remember it isn't space kids need it is unconditional love and it appears you have loads of that.

CJsMommy622
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM
If the kids are happy, thats all that matters! I'd build a fold down desk from the wall where you have that big desk now. It looks like you have really high ceilings, I'd try using that to your advantage. Maybe build a loft for some extra storage area or something?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM
You have a really pretty house! The bed idea is terrific since it allows the floor to stay free for playing on. I don't exactly understand how you did it, but still a great idea!...lol

After eliminating the monster desk I would buy a coffee table with 4 leather ottomans tucked in. During the day it could serve as a school table for the kids and at night turn back into a coffee table. They even make coffee tables to raise up to regular dining table height and seat 6! I am on my kindle right now and don't know how to add pics but I'll try to remember to tomorrow.

I would also consider creating storage for your homeschooling materials in the window area with shelving, then hanging floor to ceiling drapes to conceal it. They can literally be hung from a ceiling rod or track and can be open in the day and you can close off the nook with them at night and go from school room back to living room. That is the perfect area to do that in because you already have a nook formed with the drywall.

A console table/writing desk in place of the huge desk can serve as a desk during the day if you need separation and at night it becomes the adult laptop desk and/or decorative and functional console table with lamp, dish for mail and keys, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Thank you!

The bed is basically a loft up there.  It's strong enough my entire family of 4 has been up there at once and it hasn't budged

That wood up there will eventually be the back of a sliding shelf going upstairs.  My son is the only one downstairs and he has possible asthma on top of a lot of other issues.  We have to get to him in the middle of the night frequently and we want quick access for when he is screaming in pain.  I love his bed.  He has an LED light strip up there and it is just so calm and peaceful at night.  I want one like it lol.

I love your idea for my living room.  Maybe in a few years it will be doable.  Right now that rug area is the center of my house.  The kids constantly play on it.  We do school on it.  We do everything on it!

I'm having a hard time picturing the homeschool area idea.  Hmmm...

Hubby and I are considering closing in the ceiling of the living room.  It just seems so.... airy in there.  Like you're in a sun deck or something instead of a living room.  Plus it would give us a lot more storage.  But we don't have the money for that yet :(

Quoting blondepegasus:

You have a really pretty house! The bed idea is terrific since it allows the floor to stay free for playing on. I don't exactly understand how you did it, but still a great idea!...lol

After eliminating the monster desk I would buy a coffee table with 4 leather ottomans tucked in. During the day it could serve as a school table for the kids and at night turn back into a coffee table. They even make coffee tables to raise up to regular dining table height and seat 6! I am on my kindle right now and don't know how to add pics but I'll try to remember to tomorrow.

I would also consider creating storage for your homeschooling materials in the window area with shelving, then hanging floor to ceiling drapes to conceal it. They can literally be hung from a ceiling rod or track and can be open in the day and you can close off the nook with them at night and go from school room back to living room. That is the perfect area to do that in because you already have a nook formed with the drywall.

A console table/writing desk in place of the huge desk can serve as a desk during the day if you need separation and at night it becomes the adult laptop desk and/or decorative and functional console table with lamp, dish for mail and keys, etc.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
luvGodRonNBabie
by New Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I live in a small home.  I have about 1100 sq. feet. We are a family of 7.  I have no basement or garage either....and my dining room is our homeschool room too.  I really do understand your feelings and challenges.

JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Wow I would love to see pics.

Quoting luvGodRonNBabie:

I live in a small home.  I have about 1100 sq. feet. We are a family of 7.  I have no basement or garage either....and my dining room is our homeschool room too.  I really do understand your feelings and challenges.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM
We live in 1100 sq ft with 4 kids and 2 adults. It feels cramped some days!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM
I would love to see pics of yours too!

Quoting norahsmommy:

We live in 1100 sq ft with 4 kids and 2 adults. It feels cramped some days!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Thank you!

The bed is basically a loft up there.  It's strong enough my entire family of 4 has been up there at once and it hasn't budged

That wood up there will eventually be the back of a sliding shelf going upstairs.  My son is the only one downstairs and he has possible asthma on top of a lot of other issues.  We have to get to him in the middle of the night frequently and we want quick access for when he is screaming in pain.  I love his bed.  He has an LED light strip up there and it is just so calm and peaceful at night.  I want one like it lol.

I love your idea for my living room.  Maybe in a few years it will be doable.  Right now that rug area is the center of my house.  The kids constantly play on it.  We do school on it.  We do everything on it!

I'm having a hard time picturing the homeschool area idea.  Hmmm...

Hubby and I are considering closing in the ceiling of the living room.  It just seems so.... airy in there.  Like you're in a sun deck or something instead of a living room.  Plus it would give us a lot more storage.  But we don't have the money for that yet :(

Quoting blondepegasus:

Sorry I didn't do pics until now. I've been out of town this weekend and off-line. Anyway, here are some pics of nooks partitioned off with drapes like I was talking about for your window area:

Curtains

They are just to give a general idea of the concept. I am envisioning a desk under the window with bookcases all around to hold your schooling supplies with curtains at the nook entrance so you can close it off whenever you want to.

Since you don't want to take up floor space in the center of the room with a coffee table, you could do the same idea with a console/writing table where the old desk was to provide 1-2 desk spaces, then it would just go back to a regular console table outside of school hours. Keep in mind you don't have to buy an expensive set that comes together. You can buy a parsons type  console table (they have them at Walmart for under $50.00) and then put your own stools or cubes or whatever underneath for the seating:

Signature Design by Ashley - Lance Console Table with Stools Set of 3

lexysmommi
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I LOVE all those ideas. I have a fairly small house (1300 sq. feet).. alot smaller than what i grew up in. It took me a while to get used to it but I'm getting used to it.... My biggest thing is clutter....... I can NOT stand it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)