Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Annie Sloane Chalk Paint---pictures!

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 434 Total Views

This is the vanity that I re-did for my DD12's room.  (Yes, the stool is being recaned!).  The bedroom set was brown, old, imperfect finish and a bit marred from years in a non climate controlled storage. 

DD12 picked out Greek Blue paint, Annie Sloane brand.  You just paint it on, no sanding, no priming, nothing.  I did the dresser, vanity, headboard and stool all within 3 days. 

The set took 2 coats of paint on each piece.  After the paint dryed (quick drying, less than 2 hours between coats), I hit the edges of the furniture and a few other spots with sandpaper to "distress" it.  Then I put a clear coat of Annie Sloane wax over top (gives it a smooth, non scratch finish) let the wax dry (about 30 minutes), buffed it and I was done.

Annie Sloane also makes a dark wax that gives the paint an antiqued look.  DD wasn't fond of that look but I am going to try it on one of my living room pieces. 

Also, you don't have to distress the paint, you can simply paint it on and wax it.  DD liked the distressed look so that's what we went with.

And here is the dresser, though the colors are a bit washed out b/c of the flash on my camera.

Here is the bed.  These are pretty true colors.

"May we always be happy and may our enemies always know it." ~ Irish Toast

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
psych_mom
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I love it! I am going to use this to paint the wood pieces for my living room makeover. I am unsure what color I am going to use though. Did you find it extremely easy to use? I know that you wrote out what you did and it sounds easy, just making sure.

momof6nokc
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

I love it! I am going to use this to paint the wood pieces for my living room makeover. I am unsure what color I am going to use though. Did you find it extremely easy to use? I know that you wrote out what you did and it sounds easy, just making sure.

It was soooo easy to use.  I have never refinished a piece of furniture in my life. I always have to pay a professional to do it.  But my friend convinced me this was easy and she told me what to do. I started on the back of the headboard figuring if I screwed it up no one would know and I would just have the professionals finish the rest. 

But it was so incredibly easy.  I used the cheap .99 cent sponge brushes and went through about 6-8 of them for the entire bedroom set.  I used old T-shirts to apply and buff the wax. 

The paint costs $38/QUART and the wax was $28.  HOWEVER there is no primer, stripper, oodles of sandpaper, etc.   One quart of paint did the entire bedroom set.  I only used 1/3 of the can of wax.

$38 + $28 + $6 for brushes = $72 total cost to refinish all 4 pieces.

I just bought the Graphite color and am painting 2 dressers with it today.

Also, the paint is not stinky and does not put off toxic fumes.  You can do all your furniture painting inside if you want!

"May we always be happy and may our enemies always know it." ~ Irish Toast

psych_mom
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Awesome to know. I am going to be painting at least 3 pieces, but maybe more in the future. I have seen lots of furniture painted with it and I love the finished look. I just need to find all the pieces I want. I did find an old game table that closes up to a side table- it is a really neat piece, but now I need to find more, lol.

Quoting momof6nokc:

Quoting psych_mom:

It was soooo easy to use.  I have never refinished a piece of furniture in my life. I always have to pay a professional to do it.  But my friend convinced me this was easy and she told me what to do. I started on the back of the headboard figuring if I screwed it up no one would know and I would just have the professionals finish the rest. 

But it was so incredibly easy.  I used the cheap .99 cent sponge brushes and went through about 6-8 of them for the entire bedroom set.  I used old T-shirts to apply and buff the wax. 

The paint costs $38/QUART and the wax was $28.  HOWEVER there is no primer, stripper, oodles of sandpaper, etc.   One quart of paint did the entire bedroom set.  I only used 1/3 of the can of wax.

$38 + $28 + $6 for brushes = $72 total cost to refinish all 4 pieces.

I just bought the Graphite color and am painting 2 dressers with it today.

Also, the paint is not stinky and does not put off toxic fumes.  You can do all your furniture painting inside if you want!

TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:34 AM

I absolutely LOVE what you've done! I hear so much about that paint but it's expensive!

tnlizard
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I love your new furniture.

I love to bargin hunt at the good wills and yard sales, and bring it home and refinish it...maybe add new hardware....You have done a fantastic job...I bet your daughter likes it too!

OhSoPoetic
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM

this is adorable!

underHISwing
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Very cute!  Good job!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)