Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shabby chic help

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

I am painting a desk and a bed for my childs room. I already have the first coat on now I am ready to put the 2nd coat. My husband went and picked up the paint last night. I was told to get flat paint. Not sure is it is right now because the paint store said that it will rub off easy i should use semi-gloss for furniture. Now I am stuck... Has anyone done the Shabby chic finish on furniture? What type or paint do I use for the final coat? If i use the flat can I use a clear coat to go over it for a finish? I have tried looking this up on Pinterest and you tube but everyone uses differant paints. This is for a childs room so I need to be able to wipe it down and not have to worry that it will come off it I dust.

Jackie

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Flat is so hard to clean.... I've painted everything white, to paint it black, to paint white again lolol.... I always use a semi gloss for the shine and durability. As far as a clear coat , make sure it states that it will not yellow! Important if the furniture is white or Something light.

Then with the clear coat it'll be easy to clean and the paint will hold up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggie13
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

You can get that shabby chic look using a clear coat but to make it look more really like it...you can use a matt finish. It will not be shiny but if you want to have it shiny use the gloss. Flat is often use if you are going to stress the furniture to make it look woren...the worn out spots so that some of the layered paint or natural wood can peek out. You can use a clear coat over flat. The main thing with the clear coat is that you can either use oil or water based. I would check on websites like minwax which give good advice. Best of luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)