Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would it be weird?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

In my house, most of the furniture is new, or antique. Pretty much everything is stained, I don't think we have any painted furniture. Would it look weird to have everything stained and then randomly be like "oh, here's a chair I repainted"?

I think I may redo furniture for my craft room, but keep the rest of the house the more typical, plainer furniture

(For example, if you want to see my livingroom tables, they're the camden collection from Target)

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
angevil53
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
If it's not in the same room i don't see an issue unless the look you're going for is kind of hodge podge. But i think painted pieces bring life to many spaces! I love to refinish things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I've never refinished anything. My husband was going to refinish my desk that I got from my dad. He sanded it and I told him I wanted it light colored. Well, he stained it wicked dark. I ended up getting rid of it after that, lol

Quoting angevil53:

If it's not in the same room i don't see an issue unless the look you're going for is kind of hodge podge. But i think painted pieces bring life to many spaces! I love to refinish things.

angevil53
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I usually pick the colors :) dh bought a spray gun and is good with it. So he does the painting. I just put up a post with the dresser we did this weekend.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

I've never refinished anything. My husband was going to refinish my desk that I got from my dad. He sanded it and I told him I wanted it light colored. Well, he stained it wicked dark. I ended up getting rid of it after that, lol

Quoting angevil53:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
decor42
by Head Admin on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM

If you look in most decorating magazines you will find a mixture of finished pieces in MOST rooms. The key is to tie these pieces together with color be it florals, candles, a pillow, throw etc....  I bought Home Interiors for over 27 years then sold for 8.  It was during my training that I realized that all of the beautifully coordinated groupings were what one could call mismatched.  I personally try to stick with the same tone in my stained pieces (mahogany to walnut) and have several pieces that I can use room to room.

decor42
by Head Admin on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Now a days most rooms have gotten away from the matching set and are done in more casual style.  A randomely painted chair could make for a quaint talk not to mention adding color and texture to the space

TheJerseyGirl
by Group Owner on May. 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I have dark wood with antique white and I'm starting to throw in a pale aqua here and there. I LOVE it! Really brightens things up. What I do if they are in joining room is tie the color in by having a painted piece or pieces in each room. It could be something large like a dresser or something smaller like picture frames but it then makes all the rooms flow together!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN