Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

free bench!

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 236 Total Views

My neighbor gave me one of those smaller outside benches (it has metal on the sides and then wooden slats) that was on their curb, I asked before taking just in case.

I am going to put new boards on because the boards are pretty old and one is missing. Then I'll repaint the metal with rustoleum so it'll last... I'll probably stain the boards. 

Any idea on what kind of wood would be good? I don't know what kind of wood it is now, and I want to make sure it's good for my son it sit on if he chooses once it's done

by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GOBryan
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this

You know what you may want to look into? Those blanks that are made of a composite of plastic and wood. Similar to the outside wood floor composites being used these days. It'll help the bench last longer.  The best outside wood is teak, which is what they use on boats, but that's pretty expensive. 

Idntreallycare
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

There was a kiln-dried maple at Lowe's (I looked online) but that looks like flooring, lol. I'll have to go in when I go and see what they say. I may wait until after I have the garage sale I want to do so I have the money to do it. 

I measured the boards, they're 3/4" x 2" x 3', so I'll need 18' of boards total. Hopefuly they'll be nice and cut the boards to size for me

Idntreallycare
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I also need to decide.... paint or stain for the wood. I am thinking paint or poly for it, let the wood show through... the metal parts will be black when finished

Idntreallycare
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Instead of the 3/4" x 2" long boards, my husband decided it was a great idea to get the 3/4" x 10" shorter boards and just cut the long way. And then he told me I'm not allowed to use the saw (I'm not sure what saw we even have) so I'll make him cut the boards when he's on vacation in a week or so, then finish it.

bertie4
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I don't know about what to use but you have a good idea to replace boards and paint the bench. We have an old bench like that so gave me an idea!

Idntreallycare
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM

My MIL saw it and put in her 2 cents about it. I told her that I planned to paint the metal black and stain the wood. She said I should paint the wood and then paint the metal parts green (which they originially are) and put a design in the middle.... That's funny to me because last time I mentioned refinishing anything, she told me not to paint wood.

PinkButterfly66
by New Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Cedar wood would be better.  It's naturally insect resistant and weather resistant.  

Idntreallycare
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

my husband said the wood we got is pine. It's been cut to size, now I need to sand, coat, pre-drill, and then put it all back together (and I need to paint the metal) I'm about 1/2 done, hopefully I'll take the times and get the boards all ready this week. I need to hit the store, I thought we had black spray paint but we didn't.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Cedar wood would be better.  It's naturally insect resistant and weather resistant.  

angevil53
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Pretty much anything that's treated. Use the old slats as templates.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)