Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**DESIGN ON A DIME TIP** 5/7/07

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 10:57 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 627 Total Views

Poll

Question: Do you design your yard on a dime?

Options:

Yes!

No.

I try!

I have to pay someone.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

This week we are going to go out into the yard with our designing on a dime!

I have a thing about having the prettiest yard in the neighborhood!

If you are not good at "working in the yard"...I would start with some pots and hanging baskets. Home Depot had some NICE flower pot stands on clearance this weekend. You can also get a few sheppard's hooks for your hanging baskets.

The best place to get good flowers at a good price would be at a local nursery. They tend to be healthier and cost less than at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I have 3 hanging baskets in the front yard. The one by the front door is on a black sheppard's hook and its white petunias. I also purchased 2 decorative hooks (they were like $2 each) at Lowe's and screwed them onto each side of the mailbox and hung a hanging basket on each hook. The flowers in the mailbox baskets are purple petunias. I also have 2 flower beds around the 2 Bradford Pear trees in the front yard and in them I have impatients and marigolds (the orange and yellow striped looking ones).

I also have 2 small square pots that are painted the same color as the shutters and in them are snap dragons across the back and impatients in the front, these 2 pots are sitting on either side of a red rose bush. This is on the left side of the front of the house.

I have a long rectangle planter that matches the other 2 smaller square ones and in it are snap dragons across the back, impatients across the middle and portulacas across the front. This is on the right side of the front of the house.

On the right corner of the house I have a GORGEOUS rose bush that my kids say smells like kool-aid!

I have a large circle pot near the front door that is loaded with those portulacas and it looks SO pretty!

For making your grass grow and get thick to drown the weeds out. You can buy this fertilizer called 8-8-8 (or triple 8), sprinkle it all over the lawn and water, water, water! Its a great fertilizer and its not expensive at all! Like around $5 for a bag!

Its all about color and depth! When planting in pots or flower beds make sure you plant the tallest in the back and shortest in the front!

I will most likely be working in the back yard this weekend! I have some hydrangeas that are going back there!
by on May. 7, 2007 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
RNRClown
by on May. 7, 2007 at 7:51 PM
Wow the land scaping of your front yard of your home sounds stunning.  I think one of the best things for the value of a house is having curb appeal.  Making it warm and inviting so people want to stop and come in.  Yours sounds very nice.

Right now, mine is a mess~I'm still working on the weeds and then this weekend, I'll work on the container garden.

Hopefully in a few weeks my peonies will bloom in the back yard and I'll start that area.
knittinggoddess
by on May. 8, 2007 at 4:47 AM
I love your inexpensive ideas.  I also love to have a pretty yard and do as much with color as possible.  The home was owened by a single woman for the past 60 years.  wow!!!  As she got older things got a bit overgrown so the first job has been to get things trimed back.  They were not bad just too big. 

Any ideas for an east facing front screed in porch ladies?
single_and_preg
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2010 at 3:06 PM

BUMP!

AM-BRAT
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 3:52 PM

We don't do MUCH for our yard, besides keep it weeded and green lol.

kmrtigger
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I have some plans in mind but nothing has been done. I need to remove a ton of white rocks. Once that is done I can begin the process of designing and getting my hands in the soil and making my yards bloom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)