Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horrible Laundry Room!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 815 Total Views

Hi everyone!!

My SO and I just purchased a house in the country....it has a HORRIBLE set up (used to be on a farm) and I can't stand it but, it's a 5 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath house that was pretty cheap.  Can't complain about that. Anyways, immediately when you walk in the "front" door, infront of you is the door to the basement. Doesn't even take you 2 steps. Immediately to your right, you step into where the "laundry room" is.  I can't stand having the washer and dryer in the front of the house where everyone can see it. It's also the area where we store shoes/coats. My SO will not move it to the basement because there is no set up for it and doesn't want to deal with the pipes, etc.

My question to you ladies is, how can I decorate it or make it presentable?? The washer and dryer are also infront of windows so I can't really put shelves there. Horrible spot for laundry but since it's not changing, I might as well get used to it!

We currently have a top loading washer and the front loading dryer. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT!!!

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlm24
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I can post a picture later if needed!

virginiamama71
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Is there a door that goes to the laundry room or is it open?

Is it a tight squeeze if the door to the basement is right in front upon entering and the laundry room to the right how do you get in the rest of the house?

Does the front entrance have to be used?
I remember some older homes people did not use the front entrance even for guests?

purplemom3777
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't really be sure if this would look right or not, without a picture of yours, but it is an idea. Before we bought our house, we stayed in a rental & there wasn't a door to close off the laundry room & so I did something similar to this, by putting up a curtain to block the view of the room if it was a mess. My curtain was across the doorway instead of inside the room like this pic, but I think it looked good.

This is how ours is set up in the house we're in now. As you can see as soon as you walk through the door, there are a set of doors to the left. Our laundry room is behind those doors.

Maybe you could do something like this. Please excuse the old furniture & the wood paneling. We haven't been here even two years yet, & I am still painting & redecorating one room at a time.

Twilight girl

blondepegasus
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Quoting jlm24:

A pic would be very helpful. Thanks!

jlm24
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Mobile Photo

jlm24
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Mobile Photo

jlm24
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Mobile Photo

jlm24
Not much room to do anything.
jlm24
Pictures posted!

Quoting blondepegasus:

Quoting jlm24:

A pic would be very helpful. Thanks!

jlm24
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Pictures posted!

Quoting virginiamama71:

Is there a door that goes to the laundry room or is it open?

Is it a tight squeeze if the door to the basement is right in front upon entering and the laundry room to the right how do you get in the rest of the house?

Does the front entrance have to be used?
I remember some older homes people did not use the front entrance even for guests?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)