Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spare bedroom/ storage room

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

In our rent home, I have an extra bedroom. I have absolutely zero furniture for it. I have not touched this room except to throw the occasional box in there lol It has two closets so I can manage to put most of the boxes in there. I need some ideas though. I can't paint but I can hang up whatever I want. What do you think I should do with this room? I'm not going to put up a pic because I'm embarrassed lol Just imagine an empty room that is the same size as my sons (if you saw that post) it also has the same walls, its like an exact replica. I was thinking of getting a futon. What do yall think I should do. Post pics of any ideas yall have! Thanks!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Martina79
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I have a extra bedrm too in my rental. I was gonna make it a guest room but then i realize no 1 stays over lol. So we turn it into a closet/ storage room. We got a round rack from a clothing store goin out of business then shelving for shoes, extra bedding & my DD clothes she cant fit yet, etc. The good thing is when u buy house or move to another rental u dont have  2 worry bout it matching & if u dont like the shelving anymore just but it in the garage or basement

This is the shelving a bought from target. I got 4 of them & they come in all different sizes. I think they were $80

Jodanro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I, too, have a spare bedroom.  Mine is a spare now, because 2 of my 3 kids no longer live here.  We now use it for a computer room.  So, of course there is a desk with the computer and office supply stuff, etc....   It's kind of storage for a few things now, I guess, but I want to put a small futon in there for when the girls need to stay over.  I saw at a futon store a frame for a full size mattress that actually folds the mattress into a chair size instead of a sofa size.  That way it can  be used for a comfy chair when it's not being used as a bed!  So many things you can use a spare room for.  I do like the big closet idea!!  You can never have too much closet space :o)

~Pennygroup hug

JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Here's some ideas for you...

1. do you do any crafting/hobbies?  Use this room for that

2. an office

3. a playroom

4. a giant closet

5. a guestroom

I hope one of those ideas help :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Have you experienced a miscarriage or lost a baby during pregnancy? 
For support from other Christian Moms just like you join my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/christianloss

briana_paige
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I have no hobbies that would require a special room for them. I wish I would start scrapbooking though. I have an office area in the den. No need for a playroom. Don't need any closet space. Maybe I'll just turn it into a guest room even though I never have guests. lol This is why I am so stumped with what to do with the room.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

2. an office

3. a playroom

4. a giant closet

5. a guestroom

breegee
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:25 PM

you could make it into a "relax" room/ spare room/storage room. Something versatile and something you don't have to invest a lot of money in since its wont be used much.

Safe bet would be to do just neutrals in the room but I think It would look GREAT with some spunk of one BOLD color in it. Purple maybe since it can be relaxing OR energizing/fun!  White, Black and Purples mostly.

I think a nice futon would be good but keep it set up as a couch until someone stays over. Id cover the futon with big pretty/comfy pillows,ones that are easy on the eye but are comfy enough to sit and lay on while you read a book. I would also see if you can find a small low bureau/table and just put a  vase of flowers,a lamp and maybe a small decorative bowl with nice smelling popuri or frame on it to keep it simple. Above it a larger decorative mirror. In the other corner I think a comfy chair would be great. Something like a black leather chair with a throw on  the back would be nice. I also think a soft rug (maybe a slight shag rug?) in the room would be great. On either side of the windows I would get pretty candle holders or sconces.  Depending on what amount of room you have on the sides of the futon I think getting smaller black trunks for night stands would be a good idea and nice for storage. Maybe even a white or black book case on a wall if you have the room? Is the room longer? Maybe even an Ottaman or small coffee table in front of the Futon if it fits? I am awful at guessing the amount of room in a picture!

here are a couple of pictures of what I mean...

Futon.. In  this picture..

Product Image 

Dresser area would be like the dresser, mirror,flowers, lamp in this picture! Maybe even curtains like that as well if not those then white cutains..!

a chair like this... Maybe a storage Ottoman if you can?

Quoting briana_paige:

Thanks for the ideas! I have no hobbies that would require a special room for them. I wish I would start scrapbooking though. I have an office area in the den. No need for a playroom. Don't need any closet space. Maybe I'll just turn it into a guest room even though I never have guests. lol This is why I am so stumped with what to do with the room.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

2. an office

3. a playroom

4. a giant closet

5. a guestroom

wickedfiress
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 3:47 AM

I love, Love, LOVE this room.

~It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.~
kristyann40
by Member on Jan. 24, 2009 at 12:11 AM

My grandmother used her spair room as a breakfast/lunch area. she put a wicker table chair set and a cute love seat in there. She would eat breakfast or have tea in there. She would read a magazine or just watch birds out of her window. Maybe you could do something like that. Good luck and have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)