• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

$75 Upholstered storage ottoman done -FINALLY!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 580 Total Views

OK, this project ranked right up there as the most frustrating yet!  I'd be more than happy to share details with anyone interested in making one...but here are the basics...

-the base is made from two old doors I cut down to 24 x48...the sides are 1x8 pine...

-I used l brackets at the top and corner braces at the bottom to secure the sides to the base..

-I then wrapped the sides in one layer of eggcrate foam, smooth side out..

-for the top I again used a old door cut to 24x48 and covered it with 2 layers of foam..

-Iused a 48" piano hinge to attach the top...as my little Vana White shows you here..

I got the fabric for a steal on fabricguru.com...the sewing portion was pretty basic...

-I added legs from Home Depot that screw into brackets they sell..and there you go, large storage ottoman for about $75-80...

Finished ottoman...

Again, feel free to contact me for more info...my one suggestion would be MAKE SURE the size is what you want before you get it together...I took this apart not once, but twice to alter the width and height...hence the frustration! :)

Shelly

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cacountryangel
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM

dear shelly

thanks for the ideal...i couldn't find a ottoman i liked...and you gave me a great ideal!!!! i might get back with you later on!!!! thaks again!!!

Lissette3
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM

So Nice, You Go!

AshMomToShawn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:18 PM

omg thats amazing. You did a great job

LeahDonn
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM

LOVE IT!

Daddy        Mommy & Baby      Benjamin            Our House

wickedfiress
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I really like the fabric and no doubt that was the brunt of the cost. It looks great!

~It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.~
mommybgood
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I'm a fabricguru.com addict...can you believe I got 10 yards of this upholstry fabric for $39!!! I have tons left over for another project!

Shelly

Quoting wickedfiress:

I really like the fabric and no doubt that was the brunt of the cost. It looks great!

poisson
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM

That is Absolutely Fabulous!  You did a fantastic job!  I never would have thought of making my own.  I am definitely going to make one of these.  Great idea - thanks so much for sharing.

wickedfiress
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Quoting mommybgood:

I'm a fabricguru.com addict...can you believe I got 10 yards of this upholstry fabric for $39!!! I have tons left over for another project!

Shelly

Quoting wickedfiress:

I may be checking that site out! I make a TON of summer dresses and tank tops for my daughter.

~It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.~
veg4animals2006
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Wow.. that is just amazing! I love it!

luvmy4and1
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:15 PM

That is freakin' amazing!!!!

Make me one please!!!!

Great Job Momma!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)