Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wood veneer staining Q

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 295 Total Views

I was wondering if anyone has ever stained their wood veneered kitchen cabinets? id like to know how that works. i cant really sand them because underneath is particle board.. or can i? thanks for your help..........

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
pam228
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:37 PM

i will get back to you when my bf gets home,he does woodworking,construction,carpentry.

jandjmama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM

I did it in my 1st home.  Not sure if we're thinking of the same thing--I call them "apartment cabinets" because they've been in every apartment I've ever rented.  They come with a medium dark brown finish, no shine, and are about 90% particle board?

I did not sand because I was lazy and most of the finish had scrubbed off anyway.  Just cleaned them with the no-rinse TSP and then stained them with a stain+varnish combo (both in 1 can)--did a dark cherry, just 2 coats.  They looked great and were what all the potential buyers raved about.

I did not paint the inside, though--it was really rough and flaky and would have definitely needed sanding.

Jodanro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:37 AM

You can sand them......very lightly.  Just enough to rough it enough for the stain to hold.  Prep is key.  It won't take long and use a fairly fine sand paper.  It will be worth the extra effort.

justgrape723
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM

you HAVE to sand them enough to get the "shine" off and the sanding will also remove any oils that might make it so paint and varnish won't "stick"  It doesn't take a lot of sanding and you do not need to use a sander just a quick going over with sandpaper in your hand should be enough, make sure to wipe off all the cupboards to remove any sanded particles before painting, staining or varnishing 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)