Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever made a bed? Pictures?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 373 Total Views

We are moving into a new house and need 3 twin beds.

I've tried craigslist, freecycle, thrift stores, local new and used furnature stores.... nothing yet.

Right now we do have one set of bunk beds, metal different colors... kiddy looking. But the boys are 9 and 13 now. And I'd like something more girly for dd age 4.

We could just repaint the bunk beds and buy dd a bed.

Dh figures he can make 3 beds for about $300 ... platform style with sides around the mattress...  like a captions bed, only with cubbys.

$300 is really close to the most we can pay... and to buy one bed it looks to be close to that. I feel some what bad about buying one new bed and making the other two keep their old ones. ykwim

* the two mattress we have don't have box springs ... new box springs are about $80

* on bunk beds now so now frame that can be reused .... frame is $45 and you need the box spring....

Those two things raise the cost of buying "just a headboard and footboard"

Any ideas?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jmenini
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM
I've never made a bed, but Ikea has some really inexpensive beds. (DALSELV twin is $59.99 and the full is $79.99) Online they look like wood so you could paint them to match the kids' rooms. I'm not sure how much shipping would be, but it might be worth looking. My sister bought her bed from there and LOVES it. we've bought a few things from there and the quality is pretty awesome. An idea for the bunkbeads and your DD, is to turn the bottom half of the bunkbed into a play house. I'll see if I can find the instructions online and if so I'll come back and post it.

Want to hear what I have to say about family, life, crafting and everything in between. Check out my blog.

apron

jmenini
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Here is the instructions to the bunkbed/playhouse..it does not have pics though

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/girls-playhouse-bedroom-makeover/index.html

Want to hear what I have to say about family, life, crafting and everything in between. Check out my blog.

apron

Alakazam
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I've never done it but think this is a good idea: Purchase pickets and other necessary material (wood picket fencing material). Paint or stain the pickets and voila! I actually have leftover pickets from when we had a fence installed last year and plan to do this some day. Picket fencing material, at least in my area, is very affordable (Home Depot, Lowes).

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/297600/how_to_make_a_country_garden_picket.html

Lissette3
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Just got 2 of these from IKEA a month ago, for my boys, they're 10 & 8. They have a silver/stainless look going, something more grown up. This bed is called Heimdal & it's $99.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)