Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bland house help?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 275 Total Views

Hi, I'm new here!  My name is Kassi and we just bought our first house in May.  My biggest problem is the front of the house; it's just so bland!  Here's a pic of it in May:

When it gets not so cold I'll go outside and take a better picture.  There is a tree on each side of the picture that you can't realy see and another window on the right.  The window on the left is a bay with 4 panels.  The door has a storm door with a Texas star on it.

Since we moved in I cut the shrubs so they don't take up so much of the house.  We also installed a darker and slightly bigger light fixture next to the door (to the left of it).  Do you guys have any other ideas?  Inside is so cute, but the outside is just not that inviting.  I was thinking maybe paint the door, but what color?  Possibly shutters, but what color?  I don't want to do too much with the landscape because we love the fact that it's just mow and go.  Any help would be appreciated!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Friskey85
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM

first off i hate big bushes.. get raid of the ones by the windows, it makes the house look smaller..... i love flowers, get lots of colorful flowers planted along your walk way and have them line the front of your house too. get smaller plants and plant them throughout the flowers.... what about a small fence in your front yard?

Friskey85
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Also on your steps get some big planter pots and have some colorful flowers or something that welcomes you in...

GOBryan
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I agree with Friskey, either trim down the bushes or get rid of them and plant bright flowers, etc instead.  Make sure the trees aren't overgrown, otherwise, it'll kill your grass and darken the exterior of the house.

The house is a boring white, so I'd probably do something about the color of the door. Because you have brick, there's not many colors you can paint the house without clashing the brick unless you paint the brick and I personally like it more natural.  Possibly a red door will make it pop and maybe shutters with a bright color will be helpful also.

Maybe do something with the walkway to the house. a brick to match with the ones on the house possibly, even if it's a different shade.

Congrats and enjoy.

meganhead
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM

You have to do a little landscaping if you want the house to look any better.  The minimal side of things:  Lose the ginormous shrubs and put in some low low low maintence greenery (different grasses).  You can ask the garden dept. at lowes, and they should send you in the right direction.  Paint the window shutters yellow and your front door red.  Change out any old light fixtures and the house numbers (easy, inexpensive updating really makes a difference).  Powerwash your siding and the sidewalk and you should be good to go... Maybe get a little birdbath.

Friskey85
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:34 PM

something like this but with more flowersGo to fullsize image

or this is cuteGo to fullsize image

DevinTexas78
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I agree to getting rid of the large shrubs. You may want to get concrete stainer and stain the walk way. Painting the front door a color to pop maybe..? Def. add some color, and low green plants it will open up the fron to fthe home :)

Congrats on the new home!! I take it you live in Texas (texas star), I am in South texas

kikikiki
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM

good job trimming back the bushes, tackling that should have helped a lot. Hopefully you scaled them down enough ;)

As far as the rest, maybe you could put in some decorative trim bricks around the landscaped areas near the house.

Some lighting leading up the walkway would be nice, and perhaps some small shrubs lining the walk as well..there are some in front of our house that are green in the summer but turn red in the fall, which I love. And they are pretty low maintenance.

If you can actually see the front of the house now, I'd do shutters and front door, both red. I think most any other color will fade back too much and not add enough to the "welcome" feel you're going for.

Hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)