Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wall color for yellow/tan ugly bathroom?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:21 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 798 Total Views

Sorry can't post pic yet--just got new camera no idea how to use!

The guest bathroom is small.  4 inch square pale yellow tile(kind of mottled pale yellow & white) with 1/16" white grout on counter and tub enclosure.  Floor is 12" square tan tile--I believe it's the ubiquitous Texas Beige--tan with a hint of pinky-orange.  1/2" tan grout.

I don't want to put any real effort into this bathroom--just want to paint the walls and refinish the cabinets (currently medium brown, cheap-o standard cabinets).

Having a problem finding a wall color that will blend the yellow and tan tiles.  Wouldn't be so hard except for that hint of pink in the stupid floor tile.

Should I just go with white walls?  Thinking I'll stain the cabinets espresso brown, but open for suggestions on that too.

Thanks.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jodanro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I'd really like to see pics, but........maybe a real soft blue or bluish gray.  Especially with dark brown cabinets.  It would soften the yellow tiles, too, I think.  Just a suggestion :o)

mommybgood
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:52 PM

HAH! I was thinking a blue gray also...a really light one...OR pick a color VERY close to the tile, but a shade lighter , and then use alot of dark woods, baskets and natural accents to make it look kind "spa-ish"...if you're getting a shower curtain, maybe a nice clean white waffleweave and some fluffy white towels...

Shelly

Jodanro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Blue/gray, too.  That's funny :o)

breegee
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I agree with the above posters who said blue! I think that would be nice!

I know you were just looking for paint colors but I thought I would just suggest...

You could even do a "blue jean" bathroom :) its always something different and you can do it in a low cost manner ..I would get Yellow sunflowers to put in the room. Take  White towels a then an old pair of jeans and cut out the back pockets, put  the pocket on a hand towel more towards the end so when folded you can see it, or even cut off the top of the jean (the loops and button) and wrap it around another towel at the end,etc. Maybe get some red bandana's and do something fun with those as well, cover a tissue box with it maybe? I think blue would look great with this idea too.. Even a pale yellow wall AND even a crisp white... oh maybe buy a cowboy hat and just hang it on the wall!

Towels like this!

Or you could do a more Tuscan look and do the room the same shade of the tanish pink and work around that..?

Jodanro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM

The denim thing is too cute.  I love the barbed wire towel bars!! Those are great.

jandjmama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Thanks for the great ideas--never would have thought of the pale blue/grey, but that's just what I'm painting the master bath!  In the middle of DIY remodel there, using the Canyon Slate tile from Lowe's--grey/green base with shades of taupe, pale blue/grey, & pale copper.  I could paint the guest bath with the leftovers and see how it looks.

Thank you!

jandjmama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:35 AM

very cute towels!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)